We are seeking a Web Application Developer for the City of Calgary.
One of the primary methods of accessing content on Calgary.ca and myCity (intranet) is using search. Calgary.ca alone has over 20 million visitors each year and is the primary communication channel for the City. Staying current with search related requests from both citizens and internal business clients is a key part of the successful operation of both these primary City platforms. Search also is a key factor influencing overall task completion which is part of a commitment to council.
Due to a product life-cycle expiration, Calgary.ca must transition from the GSA search technology by November 2019 and technical work to prepare and action this transition is required to ensure there are no impacts to end users of Calgary.ca or the business units it supports.
The skills required to meet this business need are technical in nature and are focused on the Solr (a search tool platform), SharePoint 2010 and Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) platforms.
- Sustain and configure the existing Solr Search platform to meet business objectives
- Research, conceive and develop web applications to extend and improve City of Calgary's Online services.
- Work closely with UX designers, project managers and front-end engineers to implement effective user experiences in alignment with search project goals and outcomes.
- Planned development approach and code reviews with internal Web & Digital Development team
- Provide coding expertise, and be ready to make Web & Digital products better for users.
1. Successful sustainment and configuration of the existing Solr search platform to meet business objectives
2. Code documentation and knowledge transfer
3. Providing implementation recommendations and guidance to developers for search specific Calgary.ca and myCity (Intranet) integration
4. Other web application development work supporting the successful delivery of City of Calgary digital projects as assigned
Mandatory Skills and Qualifications:
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a software/web-application developer
- Ability to work well with others, open effective communication, desire for collaboration with team members.
- Good understanding of browser rendering behavior, performance, and cross-browser compatibility issues
- Experience in software development and developing for a variety of web-based applications, products, platforms and device types.
- Accessibility experience WGAG 2.0
- Solr Search experience
- SharePoint 2010 experience
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience working with single page Applications such as Node, Angular, React
- Familiarity with front-end build tools, such as Grunt and Gulp.js
- Very strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage the completion of tasks within a set and reasonable timeline
- Web usability best practices
- Understanding of current web design and development trends
- Adobe Experience Manager 6.3+ experience
- Experience working with Atlassian tools (ie. JIRA, Bitbucket and Confluence)
Approximate Duration: August 1 to December 31, 2019
Work Location: Calgary, AB
Deadline to Apply: July 23, 2019 @ 12pm MST
Job Type: Contract