Gardewine is a transportation company with terminals across Canada and a strong history that dates back to the 1950’s. Specifically in North Western Ontario we have grown considerably by diversifying within the transportation industry. The most important aspect of our company’s operations is our dedicated employees; our people will always be the source of our success and their safety and health will always come first. We are currently seeking a Dockworker to join our team.
Reporting to the Dock Leadhand, this position is responsible for completing all types of warehouse work at the terminal. Responsibilities include loading and unloading of trailers and paperwork associated with the freight. Work and cooperate with all external and internal customers to ensure a high level of customer service.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Count and inspect freight for damages, shortages, or overages
- Strip trailers and place freight in correct area of warehouse
- Complete freight handling and loading activities
- Handle shipments accordingly to standards to minimize claims
- Maximize delivery efficiencies and load factors by optimizing time and load handling
- Monitor and complete bills of lading and other shipping documents
- Keep an organized and clean dock area
- Practice and promote a safe work environment by following all safety procedures
- Disposes garbage in appropriate areas to avoid hazards and clean dock
- Other duties as necessary to meet the goals and objectives of the dock
Ideally you have high School diploma with minimum of two years’ experience working in a fast paced and deadline driven logistics environment, specifically with freight. Strong organizational, interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills. Proven demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision all the while being a team player. Must pass a criminal background check and have a valid G license in good standing.
Physical demands of Dock position are above average. Must be able to lift up to 50lbs from shoulders to floor, bend and twist consistently, stand all day and. Need to have a good sense of balance with hand and foot coordination with ability to assess weights and judge distances and heights. Ability to work in varying temperatures, depending upon season. Must be able to operate small equipment such as power jack, fork lift and hand dolly equipment. Personal protective equipment must be worn.
We offer a work environment focused on continuous improvement supported by autonomy and empowerment with a competitive base salary; extended health benefits; life and disability insurance; retirement packages (Matched pension, RSP Options, Stock Options); and profit sharing program.
This is a day shift, Monday to Friday, 4:00 am to 12:30 pm to start
Working together, yet 6’ apart for your health and safety, is our #1 priority.