Pclass # SS192
This position is responsible for supporting Learning Centre (LC) activities by providing individual and group tutorials on an appointment or drop-in basis to VCC students and for identifying appropriate learning materials that will facilitate independent study.
The department is seeking casual (on-call) Instructional Assistant Tutor in the Accounting/Business Math area.
Incumbents will tutor students from different program with different levels of language proficiency at a high school through first year university level in some or all of the following subjects: economics, business math, algebra, financial calculator skills, statistics, financial and managerial accounting.
1. Informally analyzes and interprets learning needs and propose learning strategies and/or resources and, if necessary, refer students to appropriate College services.
2. Assist students with specific learning needs as identified by students or instructors.
3. Helps students develop effective study skills and independent learning strategies.
4. Tutors students remotely using email and phone.
5. Provides online tutoring via etutoring platform as required.
6. Develops, creates, or adapts new resources such as worksheets, quizzes etc. in consultation with the coordinator, to help students meet their learning needs.
7. Identifies appropriate new learning resources for LC.
8. Provides small group workshops related to a variety of topics within subject areas.
9. Conducts orientations to LC services and resources (print and electronic).
10. Selects, maintains, re-stocks, distributes and demonstrates use of LC materials and resources.
11. Supervises and provides instruction to students in the use of computers, audio equipment, printers and computer-based learning materials and ensures the smooth running of equipment mentioned above.
12. Records statistics to monitor student use of LC.
13. Participates as an active team member in departmental planning and meetings.
14. Maintains appearance and organization of LC including requisition, duplicating, obtaining supplies, photocopying, shelving etc.
15. Provide feedback and suggestions on students’ draft resumes and cover letters.
16. Performs other related duties as required.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in economics or business and 4 years’ related experience working with adult students and English as Additional Language learners or an equivalent combination of training and/or experience may be substituted for the required qualifications.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and faculty.
- Good organizational and time management skills and ability to multi-task effectively.
- Experience tutoring adult students and leading small group workshops at a high school through first year university level in relevant subject areas.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills and the ability to relay information/instruction clearly and concisely.
- Good computer skills and proficiency with MS Office.
- Flexibility in scheduling.
Salary Range - Prorated based on FTE
$27.7248 – $32.5272 hourly, plus payment in lieu of vacation and statutory holidays.
Posting Detail Information
Employment Group Support Staff (CUPE)
Type of Position Casual
Employment Type On Call
Department LEARNING CENTRES
Primary Location - This position may require you to work at all VCC locations. Downtown
Is this posting only for internal applicants? No
Desired Start Date - May be subject to change
Position End Date - For Temporary Positions
Vacation Blackout Dates
Number of Hours per Week Hours will be determined by the needs of the department.
Work Schedule - Hours may vary according to the needs of the Department
Generally hours falls within Monday – Thursday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm, Friday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm.
Eligible for Fortnight No
Special Instructions to Applicant
Vancouver Community College is committed to maintaining a work force that represents the diverse community we serve and we encourage all qualified applicants.
Posting Open Date 10/02/2018
Posting Close Date
Is this a pooled posting? Yes