Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Student Central offers a wide variety of services for current students, future students, alumni, staff, and faculty. Services are offered in person, by telephone, by e-mail, or online. Student Central services include:
Providing information on undergraduate admissions and recruitment, student records, course registration, OSAP, forms of financial assistance, scholarships, tuition and other fees, exams, and graduation;
Processing tuition fee payments;
Distributing government loans and other forms of financial aid;
Assisting with course registration;
Producing transcripts and official Western letters;
Completing various third-party forms;
Producing Western ONEcards (photo ID cards).
The Student Central Helpline Assistant will assist callers with questions regarding course registration, transcripts and transcript ordering, Official Western Letters, Western Identity setup, password reset, financial assistance, scholarship/bursary, tuition inquiries, exams and graduation. The incumbent will Assist students in signing up for Summer Academic Orientation and foster an environment that helps callers develop an identity as Western community members while displaying an energetic and enthusiastic attitude.
Skills, Abilities & Expertise:
- Must be a full time student at Western (enrolled in minimum 3.5 courses), and expect to retain full-time student status for the duration of this appointment
- Must be currently attending Western and returning full-time to post-secondary studies in the Fall
- Ability to work independently and as a team member in a high stress environment
- Proven attention to detail, efficient and well-organized
- Excellent communication skills
- Enthusiastic and involved member of the Western community
- Written and verbal communication skills to express ideas clearly, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Reliable and dependable with the ability to consistently work assigned schedule
- Ability to follow processes and practices with high attention to detail
- Demonstrates integrity and works in accordance with Western's policies and procedures
- Computer skills with Microsoft Office, with the ability to learn and use new software programs as required
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students and the public
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Ability to work in a manner that is compliant with confidentiality requirements as applicable
Western offers a broad and exciting variety of part-time and temporary employment opportunities with ample room for job exploration and growth. Within our beautiful campus, you are part of a progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance including access to our state-of-the-art recreation centre. Apply for an opportunity to be part of the Western community and contribute to its success!
Applying at Western
To ensure that your application is given full consideration, please complete all relevant sections of the application. In addition, you can choose to supplement your application with a cover letter and current resume.
Consideration of applicants will include an assessment of previous performance, experience, and qualifications. Applicants should have oral communication skills in English.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
- Selected applicants will be required to attend a carousel-style interview on January 30, 2019 between 4:30pm and 8pm.
Summer Helpline Assistants will be employed May 1, 2019 until September 27, 2019. They are required to work Monday to Friday 8:50am-4:20pm May – Aug and one mandatory Saturday shift on June 15. There will also be 3 late shifts (11am–6pm) required - one during each registration period.
Dates vacation will not be allowed:
- June 3 (SAO sign up)
- June 14 (Athletes registration)
- June 18 to 21 (4th year registration)
- July 2 to 5 (3rd year registration)
- July 9 to 12 (2nd year registration)
- July 19 (priorities lift)
Current rate of pay is $14.00 per hour, plus vacation pay.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.