Part-Time Female Personal Support Worker (Independent Living Assistant)
Are you looking for a fulfilling career opportunity in a thriving industry?
Access Independent Living Services is a non-profit charitable organization and our philosophy is to provide opportunities for adults with physical disabilities to live independently in the community. We provide non-medical, personal, physical and lifestyle assistance as required and directed by each individual Consumer.
Access Independent Living Services provides services for people with physical support needs to be able to live independently in the community.
Independence - For All - Together
Access Independent Living Services is currently hiring for certified Personal Support Workers (working as an Independent Living Assistants) to assist our Consumers with the activities of daily living. We are looking for passionate, caring and customer-focused individuals who have a sincere interest in assisting Consumers with their personal and physical support needs, delivered in a safe, respectful and timely manner.
As a part-time female Independent Living Assistant (ILA), you will be working as part of a team for Access’s supportive housing programs located in Central, East and West Toronto. We are currently hiring ILAs for morning shifts (starting between 6:00 AM- 7:00 AM) and afternoon shifts (starting between 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM). ILAs are required to work every second weekend, some statutory holidays including either Christmas week or New Year’s week.
WHAT YOU WILL DO AS AN ILA
- Assist Consumers with personal hygiene and all activities of daily living (ADL).
- Provide attendant care services including transferring, lifting, bathing, assistance eating, and personal care.
- Maintains a professional and respectful manner at all times in the performance of duties, which may include housekeeping tasks.
- Protect and promote the welfare, dignity and individual rights of Access Consumers at all times.
- Adhere to the goals, policies and Vision of Access Independent Living Services while performing the duties of an ILA.
- Employ safe work practices at all times including when to use protective personal equipment (PPE) and to report up to Management about safety concerns.
- Perform other duties related to Consumers’ Scope of Service.
YOUR QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate of an accredited school for Personal Support Worker (PSW) with a valid PSW certification.
- Physically capable of performing assigned duties (including housekeeping tasks, lifts and transfers) within a flexible work schedule inside a 24 hour-a-day, 7 days-a-week operation.
- Ability to listen attentively and to take directions from Consumers to fulfil the Independent Living Philosophy.
- Excellent teamwork and ability to work well with others in a team approach and adapt to changing situations, including providing assistance to other ILAs as required.
- Strong morals and ethics along with commitment to Consumer and staff privacy and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional manners in delivering personal and physical support services.
- Good verbal, written and listening communication skills are required.
- High degree of resourcefulness, problem-solving and adaptability.
- Must be able to be depended upon to plan and organize work effectively and ensure its completion.
- Computer literacy including effective working skills of email required.
- Excellent teamwork and team building skills.
- Current CPR and First-Aid Certification and clear vulnerable sector report.
- Previous experience working within an Independent Living Philosophy model is an asset.
- Travel may be required and reassignment to other Programs, as needed.
- Physical activity including walking, standing, sitting, lifting and supporting Consumers.
- Overtime as required.
WHY WORK FOR ACCESS
Access Independent Living Services offers competitive salary packages and ongoing skills and training opportunities for ILAs. Access offers an opportunity for you to join our team and make a meaningful contribution to the Independent Living movement and to help our Consumers achieve their personal goals.
To Apply: Email us your resume and identify your availability to work.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Access Independent Living Services will provide accommodation, accessible formats, and communication supports for the interview upon request.
Job Type: Part-time
- Computer Literacy: 1 year (Required)
- Attendant/Support Care: 1 year (Required)
- Customer Service: 2 years (Required)
- Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Required)