Job Summary .
You must live in the Greater Toronto Area and be legally entitled to work in Canada in order to apply for this position.
Prepare food to specific recipe standards following safe food handling practices. Provide customer service in various outlets including buffets and food stations. Manage and supervise station food preparation to meet the demands of service. Provide training and direction to Cooks and Kitchen Helpers.
- Comply with all Hotel and Departmental procedures and policies.
- Supervise, expedite and participate in the food preparation for outlets, banquets, specialty functions and catering.
- Prepare food items on accordance with standards of quality, quantity control, taste and presentation following standardized recipes, common chef practices, photographs or verbal instructions.
- Oversee and participate in the set-up of culinary stations ensuring sufficient mise-en-place to meet the requirements and timelines of service.
- Supervise and participate in the operation of banquet and outlet functions, including buffets and food stations.
- Organize breaks for Kitchen helpers and Cooks so as not to detract from customer service.
- Complete and distribute daily requisitions, order requests, wastage sheets and other paperwork as required
- Provide guidance and train Kitchen Helpers & Cooks.
- Assist in the testing and writing of recipes and menus.
- Notify culinary management of ingredient spoilage, wastage and shortages
- Utilize hotel and external training as provided
- Perform other tasks as assigned by management.
- Monitor food production levels to optimize food quality and limit wastage.
- Perform supervisory and operational tasks in the absence of the Chef/ Sous Chef
- Review daily Banquet Event Orders (BEOs) and food inventory to ensure production requirement are met.
- Ensure positive customer service by communicating with guests in a clear, friendly and helpful manner.
- Ensure all food is handled and stored safely in accordance with established health codes and prevent the spoiling and contamination. Rotate food in storage using FIFO principals.
- Maintain sanitation pails and wipes at each work station. Follow principles of sanitation and safe food handling including time and temperature controls and the prevention of cross contamination.
- Perform all tasks in safe manner. Follow all safety provisions including the use of guards and personal protective gear. Do not engage in any equipment-related activity without sufficient training.
- Report all health and safety hazards and concerns to culinary management.
- Minimum 8 years culinary experience, including 3 years as a first cook is required.
- Previous experience is a prerequisite for specialized positions including pastry, garde manage and banquet, production.
- Understanding of and ability to prepare foods using various cooking methods including roasting, sautéing, grilling, frying, poaching and steaming is required.
- Advanced knife skills, including the ability to clean, cut, core, peel, and portion fruits and vegetables are required.
- Advanced knife skills including the ability to butcher, trim and portion proteins are required.
- Basic math skills required.
- Food Handler's Certification is required
- Red Seal or equivalent is required.
- Formal culinary training is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn are required.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written & verbal) in English is required.
- Must be able to stand for 8 hours per shift.
- Must be able to perform such tasks as: bending, storing, kneeling, carrying, moving and pushing goods up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work with small and sensitive equipment (knives) requiring fine finger dexterity.
Terms of employment . Full time