Job title :
INFECTION PREVENTION AND CONTROL CAPITAL PROJECTS SPECIALIST
PERMANENT FULL TIME
We have an exciting opportunity for a Infection Prevention and Control Capital Projects Specialist to join our team.
The Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC) Capital Projects Specialist is part of the Infection Prevention and Control department, but dedicated to Capital Projects as the IPAC Specialist supporting design and construction projects and renovations at facilities and leased premises within Interior Health (IH).
The Specialist plays an active role as a member of the multidisciplinary team throughput of the design and construction components of capital projects from planning to final evaluation after work completion. The Specialist is the primary lead for IPAC-related clinical and evidence-informed information, queries, and concerns. The Specialist works closely and in a consultative manner with stakeholders, consultants, builder/contractor, Capital Project Manager, and all members of the Project Team to produce a successful project outcome. The Specialist is expected to attend required meetings from planning stages through to final stages of projects. The Specialist communicates about progress on a regular basis to the Capital Project Teams, IPAC team, corporate departments, Medical Staff, facility leadership and staff. The Specialist actively participates in clinical operational commissioning preparations including orientation, training, and move-in activities plus participates in pre- and post-occupancy evaluations for newly constructed facilities, capital expansions and renovation projects.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates in capital project design development including review of consultants’ drawings, input into specifications and selection of furniture, equipment and materials; the monitoring of construction activities relating to IPAC; and acting as an expert resource about IPAC for project internal and external stakeholders.
- Works in partnership with all members of the capital project team, physicians, operational clinical leadership, staff and support service teams, external consultants and other key stakeholders as required.
- Facilitates the development and implementation of IPAC-related education, transition and training strategies to support clinicians through the multiple phases of capital projects and renovations.
- Plans and oversees IPAC projects and system changes over multiple sites and programs across IH utilizing frameworks for project management. Develops and implements consistent and streamlined IPAC processes, policies, procedures, guidelines and protocols, and evaluates their effectiveness.
- Provides leadership, orientation, coaching and mentoring for new and existing IPAC staff in regards to capital projects and renovations.
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with key stakeholders including, staff, physicians and external partners.
- Develops and implements change management strategies relating to IPAC within capital projects utilizing engagement opportunities and appropriate communication mechanisms to ensure input, buy-in, and support by internal and external stakeholders including key clinical and non-clinical support areas.
- Identifies learning needs regarding capital projects and renovations related to IPAC methodology, tools, and system processes; develops, implements, and evaluates education resources to meet those needs; develops and maintains applicable IPAC resource material and promotional information.
- Provides IPAC consultation, guidance, and support for clinical programs and other stakeholders relating to IPAC components within capital projects policies and protocols. Provides direction, oversight and support to IPAC Practitioners in order to lead evidence-based practices and standardization of infection control issues regarding to capital projects and renovations.
- Provides leadership regarding the integration of accreditation principles and standards.
- Participates on various internal and external committees, as required, and provides status reports to the Director or designate. Ensures the Director is informed of and aware of significant events and activities within the area(s) of responsibility.
- Promotes patient safety and prevention of adverse events related to infections and non-compliance with standards.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a clinical or health sciences discipline. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
- Five (5) years of recent clinical experience in an acute or community-based healthcare setting, including three (3) years' of IPAC experience with capital projects and renovations.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current certification (CIC®) in infection control with the Certification Board for Infection Control and Epidemiology (CBIC).
- Completion of current CSA courses in Canadian Health Care Facilities–Planning, Design and Construction, Infection Control during Construction, Renovation and Maintenance of Health Care Facilities and awareness of CSA standards including Special Requirements for Plumbing Installations in Health Care Facilities and Special Requirements for Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (HVAC) Systems in Health Care Facilities.
- Current practicing membership/certification with a relevant registering association and post-basic education in infection prevention and control or epidemiology required.
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to guide individuals and groups while maintaining group cohesion, motivation, commitment, and effectiveness
- Demonstrated ability to effectively introduce and manage change that is consistent with the vision, purpose, and operating principles of Interior Health
- Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, implement, manage, and evaluate programs
- Excellent negotiation skills to relate effectively with clients, medical staff, and members of the interdisciplinary team
- Defines own continuing education needs and maintains competency through reading literature and attendance of workshops, seminars, and available educational offerings
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position including the ability to work within an active construction site requiring the wearing of mandatory safety equipment.