Join one of Calgary's award-winning restaurant teams while working in beautiful Inglewood! The Deane House has an immediate opening for an experienced HR/OPERATIONS MANAGER (term position until September 2020)
About Deane House:
Built in 1906 for Captain Richard Deane, the Deane House is a historic landmark in Calgary's trendy neighbourhood Inglewood. With a focus on seasonal and regional cuisine, our culinary team takes guests on an adventure through our culinary past and present. Sustainability and environmental mindfulness is top priority, carrying on a tradition of respect for product, our partners and the stories they tell.
Reporting to the Proprietor, the HR/Operations Manager plays a critical role in the overall management and performance of the restaurant(s) and works cohesively with the management team providing training and ongoing coaching in specific areas including: operational and financial performance, hospitality and guest relations, human resources, employee relations, recruitment, information systems/internal IT support.
Summary of Key Competencies
- Operations and HR generalist experience and a collaborative and confident leadership style.
- Strong financial knowledge and/or accounting experience.
- Passion for finding operational efficiency and process improvements.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Inspired to support people to reach their full potential.
- Experience in recruitment, talent management and teambuilding.
- Enjoy an exciting and energetic hospitality environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills - must be able to interact successfully with all levels of staff and management with a positive, enthusiastic attitude.
Operational & Financial Performance
- Ensure proactive, effective, efficient and value-added support for the management team, FOH & Kitchen at both RC and DH.
- Daily coaching with Chef and Management on reservation maximization and server table-side sales tactics.
- Financial accountability and bi-weekly follow up with target budgets.
- Establish/integrate reporting and analysis into routine schedules.
- Assist with service, including covering shifts and acting as a floor manager, when necessary.
- Work daily to create conditions for management and the company as a whole to thrive, by consciously developing their mindset to think, act and create a culture of engagement, innovation, creativity, and alignment within their teams.
- Provide daily leadership, guidance, coaching and performance development to the restaurant management teams consisting of: General Manager, Assistant Restaurant Manager, Head Chefs, event managers and administrative office team and Cashout Administrators.
- Provide effective leadership to the management team by overseeing/coaching long term goals and projects.
- Achieve long range goals by assisting the management team with operational tactics, coaching and systems improvement.
- Significant contributions to annual management meetings in program planning and session leadership.
Human Resources Management and Administration
- Coordinate all recruitment processes including job postings, resume screening, reference checks, and orientation.
- Ongoing assistance in coaching and developing Managers and Supervisors.
- Maximize contribution to conversations taking place every day in the company, to engage and align people around a common cause, reduce uncertainty, and keep people focused.
- Assisting in transition of roles and responsibilities.
- Annual performance evaluation of key positions.
- Ensure consistent documentation of company wide systems (electronic/IT systems, HR programs, financial reporting).
- Oversee documentation/updating of Management Policy & Procedure Manuals.
- Oversight of payroll processing, through PUSH system WCB, benefits administration, and disability management.
- Identify and develop new policies when needed.
- Maintain new systems related to daily operations, operational efficiency, IT systems, company wide database (specifically Daylite, Shared Address Book, Keeper, Evernote, Dropbox, Hootsuite).
- Manage company-wide security data such as passwords for all computer accounts, email accounts, social media accounts, key holders, alarm codes, company log-ins etc.
- First point of contact for all internal IT issues related to Mac network.
- Manage Mac profiles & email set up on internal network and employee personal devices (iphones, ipads, etc).
Education and Experience
- Post secondary diploma or degree in Business or Hospitality an asset.
- Minimum 5 years experience in Human Resources, either in a generalist role or in combination with Operations role.
- Proven success in finance and accuracy in budgeting, reporting and invoicing.
- A minimum of 2 years experience in the food and beverage industry preferred.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize administrative projects and deliverables.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Experience with restaurant software - Squirrel, Open Table, Tripleseat.
Join our team!
Competitive wages – Gratuity sharing – Flexible schedule – Training and development opportunities – Staff dining discount
Interested applicants should apply with a detailed resume and cover letter.
We look forward to reviewing all applications! Please note that due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants must be authorized to work in Canada.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- food and beverage: 2 years (Preferred)
- HR and /or operations management: 5 years (Required)
- finance/bookkeeping/accounting: 3 years (Required)