We are looking for an experienced residential worker with a high level of energy and commitment to join our amazing team!
Skylark is an accredited, leading Toronto-based charity dedicated to children, young people and their families struggling with complex mental health and developmental needs. Our Complex Special Needs Residential Team provides supervision and residential support to children with complex developmental disabilities.
Our Complex Special Needs Residential Support Workers are responsible for providing supervision and residential support to clients on evenings, weekends, and awake overnight shifts at our locations throughout Scarborough and East York.
Compensation & Benefits:
- $19.60 per hour plus vacation pay
- WSIB eligible
- Flexible schedule up to 40 hours per week
Key Responsibilities of the Position:
- Perform all supervision and personal care duties required by the residents during assigned shifts. This will include any housekeeping, cooking, and safety related procedures required.
- May be required to develop and implement individualized treatment plans and interventions for the youth in collaboration with the Residential Supervisor, Case Facilitators, consultants, other staff members, and parents/guardians
- Provide crisis intervention and implement client safety plans as well as provide support to other staff as required
- Maintain and follow protocols, plans and instruction as prescribed.
- Maintain complete and confidential case records and required program paperwork.
- Will be asked to escort and/or drive clients to offsite day programs
Experience, Skills & Knowledge:
- Diploma in Behavioural Science with an Autism Specialization, a Child & Youth Worker Diploma, Developmental Service Worker or a Degree/Diploma in a related field combined with sound knowledge of diagnostic and treatment theories, methodologies and practices as they relate to individuals with autism, FASD and other developmental disabilities. Must possess an ability to apply theory to practice
- Minimum 2 years’ Developmental Services residential experience
- Valid crisis intervention training a strong asset (UMAB preferred)
- Experience working with complex special needs clients and the behavioural approaches required to support physically aggressive individuals in a safe and positive manner
- Understanding of residential environments, the policies and procedures typically implemented and legislative oversight
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills as well as organizational and administrative skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills in effectively working with team members, clients and management.
- Demonstrates personal initiative and takes responsibility for meeting expectations
- Computer Literacy including Microsoft Office, internet navigational skills, accurate database entry, and continuously developing technology proficiency
- Valid, current First Aid and CPR certificate and driver’s license
- Medical clearance in accordance with Skylark Children, Youth & Families policy on pre-employment medicals
- Willingness to attend UMAB training
- Satisfactory clearance under the Vulnerable Sector Check program.
TO APPLY: Interested applicants are invited to submit both their cover letter and resume in only PDF or Microsoft word format to CRSResATskylarkyouth.org on or before November 5, 2019.
Please quote: Residential Support Worker – October 2019 in the subject line. Please refrain from posting the cover letter to the body of the email.
Skylark is strongly committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of the populations we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including applicants from all cultures, racialized communities, abilities, diverse sexual and gender identities and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free.
We ask applicants to make any accommodation requests for the interview or selection process known in advance by contacting the Human Resources Department at (416) 482-0081 ext.248. Human Resources will work together with the hiring committee to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation for the selection process which will enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
Job Types: Contract, Casual
- Developmental Services residential: 2 years (Preferred)