Reference Number: RF-8569
Closing Date: 2023-06-12
Join the Finance team at CSE. We are looking for dedicated candidates with extensive experience in the finance domain, who have detailed knowledge in the field and exhibit strong analytical, communication and collaboration skills.
The Finance team informs, shapes, and strengthens decision-making by maintaining and providing sound information across CSE. As part of the finance team, you will get to work in a collaborative, diverse and innovative operational environment.
Become part of our team and you’ll understand why CSE is the most important organization you’ve never heard of. Learn more about CSE’s mission and our workplace culture.
Communication Security Establishment (CSE) is an agency that is separate from the Core Public Service of Canada. We are not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). We have our own classification, staffing regime and compensation system. Therefore, our salary scales are different.
To find out more about our salary scale, the vacation allowances and the benefits (health, dental & pension plans, etc.) visit the Compensation page of our website.
Finance UNI-09 Positions:
- UNI-09 $95,092 - $111,868 per year. These positions may be eligible for additional allowances.
More information under “Additional Details”.
All jobs are in Ottawa, Ontario.
CSE locations meet current accessibility standards and offer:
- designated parking spaces and electric mobility scooters;
- wide entrance, hallways, and doorways;
- inclusive washrooms;
- a prayer/meditation room;
- accessible and fully equipped kitchenettes;
- sit-stand workstations, and much more.
We recognize that everyone has different functional abilities so we’ll offer solutions, within our means, to accommodate your needs as best as we can. We are committed to removing barriers, and as such, we’ll aim to equip you with the right tools and equipment to allow you to work to the best of your ability, from the moment you join us. We strive to make CSE a workplace where you can feel safe to be your authentic self, every day.
Open to Canadian citizens.
Current FI-03s/CT-FIN-03s or qualified in a FI-03/CT-FIN-03 pool (or equivalents) looking for deployment opportunities should reference the following poster: At Level Opportunities UNI-09 (FI-03/CT-FIN-03 Equivalent) Finance Positions
CSE is committed to building an equitable, diverse and inclusive community. We strive to improve our workplace as we progress on our journey to learn from mistakes of the past and work towards reconciliation. We make efforts, every day, to eliminate barriers to inclusion and all forms of discrimination. As such, we encourage you to voluntarily indicate on your application if you are part of one, or more, employment equity groups:
- Indigenous Peoples
- People with disabilities (including people with a mental health condition and neurodivergent people)
- Persons from Racial or Ethnic groups
We’re looking for passionate people from a diverse range of backgrounds, who will thrive working in an open-minded environment and value the different perspectives of others. If you’re excited about what we do and working with us but are not sure you’re 100% there yet, please don’t let that stop you from ing.
Please demonstrate in your application how you meet these required qualifications:
Please identify your current substantive classification in your resume/cover letter. When describing your experience, please identify the classification level while performing the work.
You must have either one of the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with specialization in accounting, finance, business administration, commerce or economics.
- Eligibility for a recognized professional accounting designation (i.e., CPA)
- The educational program must be recognized in Canada, and you must be able to provide proof of education credentials. Students graduating within the next twelve (12) months are eligible to .
You must have the following experience:
- Recent* experience in analyzing information, providing financial advice, and making recommendations to senior management (Director Level or above).
- Recent* experience preparing briefing materials, reports, and presentations for management.
- Recent* and significant** experience in at least three (3) of the following activities:
- Internal budgeting, forecasting, financial reporting, or financial analysis (including activities such as extracting, compiling, and analyzing information).
- External reporting (Estimates, Trial Balance, Financial Statements, etc.).
- Costing (including activities such as the development and delivery of costing models).
- Accounting operations (such as recording, reporting, analyzing, and tracking financial transactions related to revenues and expenses).
- Financial Policy (development, implementation or application of policies, procedures, directives)
- Internal control (development, implementation or application of controls).
- Financial management advisory services (provision of advice, guidance, and financial services in the areas of planning, budgeting, costing, and reporting).
- Financial Systems (design, development, review, testing or maintenance of business processes, procedures, controls, data, and software applications that produce financial and related non-financial information).
- For the purposes of this selection process, “Recent” is defined as experience having normally been acquired within the last five (5) years.
** Significant experience is defined as the depth and breadth of experience normally associated with having performed such activities for a minimum of one (1) year.
Various language requirements (English/French Essential, Bilingual BBB/BBB or Bilingual CBC/CBC).
Competencies is our term for skills and/or knowledge. We will assess the following competencies throughout the hiring process (test, interview, etc.):
- Financial Budgeting, Planning, Reporting and Costing:
Providing services and advice on financial planning, budgeting, reporting and costing to ensure the optimal allocation of financial resources to objectives.
- Financial and Management Accounting:
Knowledge of processes and procedures to ensure the effective financial reporting, recording, tracking and management of revenues and expenditures (including assets).
- Financial Management Systems and Processes:
Application of Financial Management Systems to support the automation of financial processes.
- Policy Interpretation, Application and Compliance:
Researching, interpreting and ing central agency policies, legislation, directives, guidelines, standards and departmental procedures.
- Interactive Communication:
Communicating in a compelling, honest, persuasive, effective, and articulate manner, thinking about who you need to communicate with, ensuring the message is clear, understood, and consistent with CSE objectives.
Identifies and responds to current and future client needs; provides service that meets or exceeds clients’ expectations.
Deliver on commitments through actions that reflect personal accountability, sound judgement, decisiveness, and business acumen.
Create a culture where flexibility and openness to new ideas are encouraged.
Lead transformation with courage and conviction.
- Integrity, Respect & Awareness:
Create and promote a culture of integrity, transparency, fairness, and respect.
Recognize one’s own areas of personal and professional strength as well as areas for development and is committed to continuous learning to enhance self-awareness.
Continuous learning to enhance self-awareness.
Inspire commitment to achieve performance excellence by creating excitement about the work and demonstrating personal conviction, strength of character and belief about the team.
Develop a vision and connect people to it; understand the context and envision the possibilities; Translate ideas into concrete strategies that can be effectively executed.
Assets are “nice-to-have” expertise and skills we’re interested in. Please demonstrate in your application any specialized expertise that to you, as it may be used to identify which team you could best complement within CSE.
- Possess or in process of obtaining a recognized professional Accounting Designation (i.e., CPA).
You must clearly demonstrate the following experience by providing clear and concrete examples and details of your experience including, when, where, and how you obtained the experience.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Experience preparing internal reports as well as Departmental financial statements and public accounts.
- Experience writing and interpreting financial procedures, directives, and policies.
- Experience performing the full range of accounting operations in one or more of the following fields: accounts payable, accounts receivable, travel management, asset monitoring, salary management, or monitoring and reconciliations.
- Experience in data analytics or business intelligence.
- Experience performing costing activities.
- Experience in implementing a financial system.
You must be a Canadian citizen, be eligible for a top secret security clearance and be willing to comply with CSE’s own security policies and standards. Please note ONLY qualified applicants at the FI-03 level will be considered.
You must have no criminal record. The screening process involves a
- Security interview
- Polygraph test
- Psychological assessment
- Background investigation covering a minimum of your last 10 years history, including credit and financial verifications.
You may submit your candidacy online by selecting “” at the top or bottom of this page.
If you cannot online or have a disability preventing you from ing online, please inform us by contacting [email protected] prior to the closing date of this selection process. CSE offers an assessment process that will accommodate any reasonable measures required to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Those measures are available to all candidates for further assessment. Related information received will be addressed confidentially. If you may need such accommodation, please advise us.
- The process will be conducted in the official language of your choice.
- If you successfully pass the application review, you will be required to complete a fit interview. It will be used as a screening tool. Make sure to check your spam/junk mailbox regularly for notification of the test.
- If you are successful at the interview, we will request three references (supervisor/manager).
- Please note that should candidates of interest be qualified in a FI-03/CT-FIN-03 pool, you will be asked to provide proof of qualification via selection process number.
- You will also be required to complete the security assessment.
More information regarding the hiring and security processes can be found on CSE’s website.
The entire selection process interviews, security investigation – may take more than one year to complete. If you are deemed to be unsuccessful in the assessment process for this particular selection process, you may re in twelve (12) months.
The compensation for UNI-09 positions in the financial management group is comprised of the following components:
- UNI-09 level basic pay: $95, 092 - $111, 868 per year.
- Incumbents in positions within the financial management group at the UNI-09 level who are at the top of the UNI-09 salary range are eligible for a long-term acting with an increase in pay leading to a maximum annual salary rate of $125, 878.
- These rates are currently under negotiation. Additionally, based on the Memorandum of Understanding between CSE and the Public Service Alliance, incumbents in positions within the financial management group at the UNI-09 level who are at the top of the UNI-09 salary range are eligible to receive a per annum CFO Transitional Allowance of $4, 113 to compensate for specific responsibilities associated with the implementation of the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) model during the period of transition.
- This allowance is in addition to, but not part of the yearly salary. It is negotiated through the collective bargaining process.
- Please note that this Memorandum of Understanding is currently under review.
At CSE, we are proud to offer an inclusive and supportive working environment that encourages open minds and attitudes. As an organization that values and nurtures talent, we’re committed to helping you fulfill your potential. With comprehensive training and development opportunities, tailored to your needs and the requirements of your work, we’ll enable you to flourish in your role and perform to the best of your abilities.
Determinate and indeterminate appointments will be used to staff positions of permanent or temporary tenures within CSE. All appointments have a one (1) year probation period.
Overtime and standby duty may be required.
CSE is a separate organization and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). We have our own values-based staffing regime and as such, have the flexibility to determine qualifications for positions and how these qualifications will be assessed in a selection process. In other words, CSE has its own classification, compensation system, and a different staffing regime. As such, we use a different staffing process and terminology.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CSE. However, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.