Canem brings almost 60 years of practical experience in the design and installation of electrical and communication contracting services, spanning across Western Canada, with locations in Victoria, Nanaimo, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, Lethbridge, Saskatoon, Winnipeg and Ontario.
We are currently looking for a Senior Estimator in the Vancouver/Richmond area. The Senior Estimator is responsible for the effective preparation of detailed estimates for commercial, institutional and residential projects. This includes responsibility the ability to estimate major projects and contributing significantly to marketing the company and its services. The Senior Estimator will report directly to the Regional Vice President.
The Estimator is responsible for duties including:
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships with suppliers, manufacturer, engineers and contractors in the industry; advising clients about new and effective products and services; and actively seeking out new opportunities, projects and clients and estimating and obtaining new projects.
- Preparation of electrical budgets for major projects based on preliminary sketches, specifications and other related information; preparing accurate cost estimates of resources required for tendered projects; contacting and receiving quotations from suppliers and trades; and preparing spreadsheets with supplier information and quotes.
- Coordinating and preparing for pre-tender site tours for major projects; participating in project site visits as requested; analyzing possible cost savings for projects as requested by project managers.
- Setting up data for estimates in computer programs; reviewing and confirming estimate information prior to tender closing, including drawings and supplier bill of materials, analyzing disadvantages and strengths of estimates prior to submission; and prepare and evaluating closing strategies.
- Analyzing tender documents and contractual obligations for major projects; preparing and delivering or faxing quotation letters to client prior to closing time with relevant management approvals; obtaining feedback and results from clients with regards to quotations; contributing to pre-plan meetings.
- Providing senior-levels support and leadership in optimizing, maintaining and updating databases and software for estimating change order and service in relevant computer programs; maintaining and updating historical estimate database.
- Provide training and assistance for new and existing staff in estimating and change orders procedures and for estimating, change order and related software and acting as a mentor for estimators throughout the company.
- Providing an example of professionalism as a responsible and goal-oriented team player and leading by example in achieving excellence and being accountable for results and outcomes
This position requires an individual with experience in major electrical construction projects with an electrician’s journeyman certification or estimating certification. The Senior Estimator position requires an in-depth familiarity of tender rules and processes, an excellent current knowledge of electrical, building and municipal codes and regulations. The ability to network, market and sell services is a key attribute of this position. Proficiency in related computer programs is a requirement.
- 6 to 8 years experience as an estimator for electrical construction projects
- 4 to 8 years of hands on experience with electrical construction projects
- Certification as estimator with Canadian or BC Construction Associations
- Good sales, marketing and networking skills
- Excellent knowledge of industry products, practices and standards
- Knowledge of engineering software and engineering skills an asset
- Experience with Enterprise estimating software is an asset
- Experience in working with Microsoft Office applications: Outlook and Excel
- Demonstrated organizational abilities and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent ability to think critically and problem solve
- Effective communication skills verbal and written
If you believe you would be the right fit, and you are a motivated team player please respond internally and send your resume in confidence.
We appreciate the interest of those who apply but due to the volume will only be able to follow up with those individuals who we would like to peruse. Please include your salary expectations in your cover letter when submitting your interest.
Job Type: Full-time
- Electrical Construction: 6 years (Preferred)
- Estimating: 6 years (Preferred)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (Preferred)