Operations Manager - Key Job Responsibilities
Sherwood Park Office and Shop, with travel to Fort McMurray and Project Sites
Position Reports To:
Job Purpose Summary:
The Business Manager is responsible for promoting and guiding the successful operation of Streamline through the effective and consistent implementation of Streamline policies and procedures.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to the following:
Responsibility Area – Finances and Reporting:
- Work with the vice president and controller to prepare operating budgets
- Prepare a standardized reporting process, including budget analysis, variance tracking, productivity analysis and inventory levels
- Ensure adherence to established budgets
- Prepare a weekly operational report to be presented to the President and Vice President
Responsibility Area – Business Development:
- In accordance with the established business plan, continually work with Senior Management to identify additional work opportunities.
- Meet with existing and potential direct and indirect customers (i.e., construction companies and engineering firms) in order to generate more and/or better work.
- Attend seminars, FMCA events and other meetings to promote Streamline.
Responsibility Area – Project and Workforce Management
- Working with the Vice-President, establish and implement, when necessary, process improvements for project execution.
- Oversee Area/Location Managers and ensure all employees in the region comply with all client, government, and company policies and procedures
- Promote continuous improvement of work flow and logistics to improve operational efficiencies
- Continually monitor work in-progress on assigned Projects to ensure compliance with contractual, QA/QC, Project Controls and other project requirements.
- Ensure that changes in the construction scope are effectively managed in accordance with company procedures and the impact on cost, safety and schedule is fully evaluated by Project Managers.
Responsibility Area – HSE
- Communicate regularly with management regarding HSE performance, identifying opportunities for improvement and providing timely and effective feedback on the all matters relating to HSE;
- Implement the Streamline HSE program at the Streamline shop, office and laydown in Fort McMurray (Lewyk Park);
- Identifying continuous improvement opportunities for Streamline’s Health & Safety Program;
- Reviewing and evaluating safe work practices and procedures
- Improving and developing policies
- Ensuring that project Sites in the region comply with the Streamline Safety Program, Policies, Codes of Practice, and Safe Work Guidelines set by Streamline
Responsibility Area – Proposals and Estimating
- Lead the preparation of complete estimates and proposals on assigned projects, including attending site visit, pricing, and preparing of proposal documents for senior management approval.
- Maintain well organized and thoroughly documented bid records
- Transfer bids, estimates and project budgets to construction management for the successful planning, organizing, and scheduling of work.
- Do whatever it takes to ensure that Streamline bids and proposals are competitive and submitted within required deadlines. This may require you to arrive early, stay late, or perform tasks not specifically outlined in the job description.
- Prepare baseline work schedules for new projects.
- Developing construction execution and other required project plans.
- Ensure QA/QC and Project Controls requirements are included in bid submittals and communicated to the project teams.
Responsibility Area – General
- Identify and analyze information to give senior management early warnings of potential problems and recommend corrective action
- Accountable for compliance with Streamline's Operational, Project Management, Human Resource, QA/QC and HSE Policies and Procedures
- Perform other duties, as assigned
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual filling this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
- Customer Focus
- Team Work
- Quality Orientation
- Time Management
- Adaptability / Flexibility
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Decision Making and Judgement
- Planning and Organizing
- Problem Solving
- Result Focus
- Accountability and Dependability
- Ethics and Integrity
- Mediating and Negotiating
- Providing Consultation
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Staff Management
- Enforcing Laws, Rules and Regulations
- Mathematical Reasoning
- University degree in applicable field or a combination of post-secondary and relevant experience.
- 8 to 10 years of direct work experience in management.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred.
- Demonstrated success in project delivery and execution of project management methods.
- Ability to assess corporate climate, socio-economic factors, trends, and other criteria to determine chances of project success.
- Intuitive grasp of organizational structure in order to manage cross-departmental and cross-disciplinary resource allocation.
- Highly effective negotiation, diplomatic, and conflict resolutions skills.
- Superb creation and facilitation of meetings, feedback sessions, and briefings in order to create consensus among stakeholders.
- Able to effectively communicate with all types of staff, including technical, professional, and upper management.
- Strong knowledge of financial management, technology management, and internal controls.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- Ability to create and edit project documents, materials, and presentations.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with business units, corporate departments, key managers, and other stakeholders.
- Flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities and deadlines.
- Persuasive and motivating, with a strong focus on managing consultants.
- Driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- Travel is required.
- Overtime as required.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Able to attend and conduct presentations.
- Manual dexterity required to use laptop and desktop computer
- Policies and Procedures Manual
- Company HSE Manual
- QA/QC Manual
Job Type: Full-time
- Managment: 8 years (Preferred)
- Construction and Mechanical: 5 years (Preferred)
- Proposals and Estimating: 2 years (Preferred)