SAVE in Okotoks, AB is looking to hire a veterinary technician assistant to join their team. We are a 24 hour emergency hospital, so all candidates must be able to work all shifts on a rotation basis. The rotation is 2 weeks days (7 am - 7 pm), 2 weeks swing (10 am - 10 pm), and 2 weeks overnights (8 pm - 7 am). (2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on 3 off). Please apply with resume, stating any experience and why you are interested in the position.
Responsibilities include the husbandry of all the patients, maintenance of surgical Instruments (including cleaning, wrapping and sterilization), maintenance of the sterilization equipment, preparation and maintenance of medical records, assisting the technician with treatments, ensure that all the cages are being cleaned as per our cleaning protocol in this document, admitting and discharging some patients (only when directed by RVT or Veterinarian), scheduling appointments, answering the telephone, computer operation, financial transactions, front office and clinic maintenance. Assistants will assume the responsibility for acquiring the medical and legal information necessary for the performance of their duties.
Maintaining SAVE’s client & patient care standards through the following duties and expectations:
- Make a good first impression on clients, smile, be professional. Set a positive tone.
- Maintain a professional appearance (clothes and attitude).
- Assist technicians and veterinarians as needed.
- Maintain cleanliness of the hospital.
- Greet clients and pets warmly.
- Weigh each patient, record this in the computer.
- Assist clients as necessary to make their visits easier.
- Verify medication refills with veterinarians and/or technicians.
- When in doubt, ask questions.
- Continually strive to improve.
- Make suggestions how to improve hospital protocols.
- Help veterinarian or other staff members accomplish other tasks to make hospital run smoothly.
- Perform tasks with accuracy and care (Example-surgery instruments are kept together and packs are complete)
- Able to recognize tasks that need to be done and perform them efficiently.
- Able to help with whatever tasks are required and help others on the hospital floor
- Able to check an animal prior to discharge to be sure that the catheter has been removed, that any blood, urine, vomit, feces are removed, clean the patient and spray it with an animal deodorizer before going home.
- Assist with Client Care Duties
- Other duties as required.
Being a part of the effective and professional team atmosphere that is expected of SAVE staff:
- Communicate with all members of team in a clear, efficient, and polite manner.
- Be professional in your interactions with team members.
- Assist doctor/technicians with procedures as necessary.
- Understand technician duties.
- Attend team meetings.
- Help veterinarians or other staff members accomplish other tasks to make hospital run smoothly
- Be familiar with other job descriptions in order to maintain a respectful working relationship with all positions in the team.
- Maintain a professional appearance (clothing and attitude).
Job Type: Full-time
- veterinary: 1 year (Preferred)