Organization: Innovate BC
Position Title: Event Director
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Employment Type: Fixed-Term Contract until June 2020
About Innovate BC
Innovate BC is a one stop service centre to connect BC innovators — large and small — with government funding, tools, resources and support. Every day, staff at Innovate BC come to work to serve and celebrate innovation in British Columbia, helping our industries grow, while ensuring the benefits of our thriving technology sector are felt by people in all regions of our province. Innovate BC is a Crown Agency of the Province of B.C.
About the Opportunity
The Event Director is responsible for providing strategic direction and overseeing Innovate BC’s role in the delivery of and participation in relevant government and industry events. This includes the delivery of the Innovate BC’s annual innovation conference and any related side-events, other events that Innovate BC may host from time to time, as well as events and initiatives that Innovate BC may attend or sponsor.
The Event Director reports to the Vice President, Operations, works in close collaboration with the CFO, Director of Marketing and Communications, and manages the event support staff.
Lead the planning and execution of an annual innovation conference:
- In close collaboration with and by direction of the Province, provides creative direction and leads the overall event concept development and conference programming (agenda, speakers, event components). Ensures that these align with the strategic direction of the steering committee and Innovate BC CEO.
- Oversees the management and execution of various event components (potentially including the conference, trade show, technology showcase, career fairs/showcase, B2B meetings, VIP events, and side or lead-up events).
- Manages stakeholder relations with government, industry and sponsors, acting as ongoing liaison with potential collaborators and agencies involved in the event.
- Participates in and/or leads various committees (steering committee, communications committee external/industry committee).
- Provides status updates and reports as may be required and establishes measurement data and develops reports to evaluate the success of the event.
- Directs the event management company and other vendor relationships.
- Works with Marketing and Communications department to optimize event marketing, including development of the event website and promotional strategies (advertising, PR and media relations).
- Manage the overall project, recommending improvements to internal operations, organization of information and data communication flow.
- Professionally represents Innovate BC and nurtures partnerships at all times.
- Develops and manages the event budget, reports on financials.
- Hires and manages team to support required activities.
- Performs other duties as may be required.
- Post-secondary degree in marketing, communications or business, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 10 years relevant experience including a minimum of five years of experience in a senior manager or director role.
- Large-scale event management experience.
- Excellent organizational and program management skills, ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines, with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrable proficiency managing complex projects with multiple components.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, government and stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and build strong working relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Have relevant connections within BC’s technology community and network.
- Strong problem-solving and management through stressful situations.
- Working experience with event management platform(s).
- Knowledgeable of facilities management, audio-visual, room layouts and design.
- Understanding of production, staging, and on-site execution.
- Proven experience sourcing vendors and managing the vendor relationship.
- Contracting, negotiations, and compliance experience.
- Ability to assess and manage risk (emergency planning).
- Working experience with event budgeting and financials.
- Ability to complete evaluations, reporting and analysis.
- Leadership and strong interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Power Point, Word and cloud-sharing programs.
- Commitment to working required hours (at times above and beyond normal business hours) to ensure events are successful.
- Technology sector and government relations experience strongly preferred.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: September 30, 2019
Starting Date: November 1, 2019
Application Process: To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and CV in PDF or Word format. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Contract