The Enterstomal Therapy Nurse (ET) under the direction of the Immediate Supervisor, establishes, assesses, and delivers nursing care to clients as directed by the developed care plans in accordance with all required internal and external professional practice standards. The ET nurse will provide mentorship and education to other Registered Staff. The ET nurse will be responsible to ensure complete detailed patient assessments and treatment options in accordance to wound /Ostomy Best Practice guidelines.
At least two years of recent experience preferably in a community setting, New ET nurse graduates will be considered on an individual basis providing that they meet all other hiring criteria and that a mentorship program is implemented and that the new grad is closely monitored.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Arrange and/ or provide client assessments by utilizing your enterstomal expertise, providing health teaching and direction relating to Wound Care /Ostomy Best Practices, reporting any unusual circumstances to the Branch office or to the immediate Supervisor.
- Develop and review nursing care plans that are individualized to each client’s assessment needs.
- Provide care according to the established care plan ensuring that on an ongoing basis, the emotional, spiritual, and physical comfort and safety of clients are met to greatest extent possible extent; care must be within the scope of a Registered Nurse or an Enterstomal Therapist.
- Perform Enterstomal Nurse duties in accordance with company policies and procedures and Standards of Nursing Practice as defined by the provincial regulating body: perform specialized nursing procedures for which recognized training and current competency can be demonstrated.
- Perform specialized nursing procedures as per Enterstomal Therapy guidelines.
- Observe and document client condition according to Bayshore HealthCare standards.
- Receive and transcribe physician’s orders.
- Provide direction, support and delegation to Licensed Registered and Registered Practical Nurses and unlicensed field employees relating to Wound Care /Ostomy Best Practice guidelines.
- Understand and implement Infection prevention practices.
- Participate in ongoing internal and /or external continuing education activities.
- Adhere to Bayshore Policies and Procedures.
- Participate in quality activities and continuous improvement initiatives in keeping with the company’s Quality Management System.
- Participate in proactive Health and Safety activities while performing all duties. Is responsible to notify immediate Supervisor of any Health and Safety concerns.
- Maintain confidentiality of client and corporate information and discusses same only with appropriate Bayshore personnel.
- Complete other tasks as required.
The Enterstomal Therapy (ET) Nurse provides a Baccalaureate prepared Registered Nurse education in the tri-specialty of wound, ostomy and continence management with a focus on Best Practice guidelines and solid patient outcomes, having graduated from an accredited school of Nursing and having current registration with the provincial licensing body. The position also requires a solid knowledge of the principles, practices, and methods of Community nursing.