J. L. Richards & Associates Limited (JLR) is a Gold Standard Canadian Best Managed company that provides high-quality engineering, architecture, planning, and project management services to clients in both the private and public sectors. With offices across Ontario, all staffed with a diverse team of engineering and design professionals, JLR stands out in the industry due to our uniquely collaborative approach. On every project, we work as a team to ensure that our clients get the very best quality, service, and value in the field. As a 100% employee-owned and completely Canadian business, JLR understands what clients want and how to deliver designs and built projects that meet their needs.
To support our recent and ongoing growth, JLR’s team is looking to add Mechanical Engineers to augment and round out our team. We’re looking for talented and creative people to support both business development and delivery activities, and proven or emerging leaders to develop and manage our clients and projects. Applicants with 5–15 years experience working as a mechanical engineer in commercial or institutional contexts are ideal for this role.
At JLR, candidates can expect to join a creative, tight-knit, and mentorship-focused community with endless opportunities for driven people with tenacity and an entrepreneurial spirit. Our organization is made up of diverse employee-owners with specialized expertise in a wide range of disciplines. Joining the JLR team means joining a dynamic community of innovative engineering, architecture, planning, and energy systems professionals and support staff. You will have the opportunity to partner with clients to develop insightful solutions and see projects through from conception to completion.
If you have a creative spirit, thrive when presented with new challenges, and are eager to take your career in new directions, then JLR is the right environment for you.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Design, internal coordination, project management, and contract administration during construction of commercial projects, from concept through to completion;
- Working directly with engineers, architects, technologists, and specialist sub-consultants across all of JLR’s offices as part of an integrated, multidisciplinary project team;
- Coordinating with designers to optimize general arrangements, equipment selection, piping, and ductwork layouts;
- Assisting with the management of workload of technicians and designers to ensure that project deadlines are met and final deliverables align with client expectations;
- Identifying and responding to client needs and regulatory requirements;
- Participating in the preparation of proposals and the development of estimates for engineering services;
- Applying engineering fundamentals, including the application and verification of related software tools;
- Completing site reviews during construction and reporting on observations;
- Mentoring designers and junior engineers; and
- Travelling between JLR offices on occasion to meet the needs of various projects and/or for training purposes
Skills and Qualifications
- Must have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and hold a valid license to practice engineering in the Province of Ontario, with 5–10 years of related experience since graduation;
- Related experience in the design of building systems including HVAC, fire protection, and plumbing, in accordance with current codes and standards;
- Knowledge of energy modelling and green initiatives;
- Highly motivated self-starter with a positive attitude;
- Proven ability to apply engineering fundamentals to resolve challenges;
- Proven ability to work with clients and contractors to achieve project goals;
- Ability to produce quality deliverables and monitor project related tasks;
- Excellent analytic, oral, and written communication skills;
- Ability to work in teams consisting of people with varying backgrounds;
- Valid driver’s license, and
- LEED certification, project management experience, and/or bilingualism (French/English) would be considered assets.
Why Join Us?
- 100% employee-owned with share ownership opportunities at all levels;
- Work-life balance is strongly encouraged;
- Stable, long-term employment with opportunities for advancement based on merit, skill, and initiative;
- Friendly, welcoming and team-oriented atmosphere that fosters collaboration;
- Flexible career direction with opportunities to choose your own path;
- Interesting and exciting assignments ranging in size and type;
- Corporate philosophy that encourages growth and development along with an “open-door” policy where communication is encouraged;
- Competitive salary reviewed annually;
- Health / dental benefits offered immediately;
- RRSP / DPSP program offered immediately;
- Merit-and-profit bonus program for eligible employees; and
- Extracurricular social events (annual “prom”, golf tournaments, sports teams, department lunches, summer BBQs, and much more).
JLR welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Job Type: Full-time
- since graduation: 5 years (Preferred)