Equipment Operator - Roads
1 June 2020
Temporary - Full Time
Garage 3 - Orr Lake, ON L0L 1P0 CA (Primary)
Responsible to the Roads Foreman for the operation of heavy equipment including, but not limited to; Grader, Gradall, Dozer, Wheeled Excavators, Rubber Tire Backhoe, Heavy Plow and Combination Units, Paint Truck and Highway Maintenance Trucks
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (not listed in order of priority)
1. Operation of various road related pieces of equipment, as directed, to accomplish road maintenance goals and maintain appropriate standards.
2. Assist with the completion of various activities including platform maintenance (including cold mix patching and power sweeping), roadside maintenance (including grass cutting and shoulder grading), traffic maintenance (including signage repairs, line painting), storm water management (including ditching and catch basin repairs) and winter maintenance (including plowing, sanding and patrolling).
3. Complete minor repairs on all vehicles and equipment, report major equipment and vehicle defects to Foreman and assist with equipment repair as required.
4. Complete all documents as required, including work orders, inventory reports and equipment records.
5. Perform the duties of a Labourer/Truck Driver as required.
6. Comply with provincial and County occupational health and safety legislation, regulations, policies and procedures.
7. Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS AND CERTIFICATION
- Grade 12 or Grade 12 equivalence diploma.
- Must possess a valid DZ license, AZ license is preferred.
- Ability to work without supervision and to make decisions.
- Able to communicate diplomatically with the public on County roads.
- Three (3) to five (5) years’ experience as a heavy equipment operator in roads maintenance work in at least two (2) of the following pieces of equipment:
- Wheeled Excavator
- Paint Truck
- Visual and mental effort required when operating equipment for long periods of time, must be aware of surroundings.
- Work is performed out of a County garage.
- Will be out on County roads year round in order maintain them.
- Temporary position with an expected end date of October 30, 2020
$26.41 - $27.58
SEIU BGPWU Rds
The County of Simcoe thanks all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, but please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information provided is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act (2001) and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.