Are you creative, dynamic and passionate? Do you like to think outside of the box and find new ways to achieve your goals? Corus Entertainment has an exciting opportunity for you. If you have a passion for excellence, and would like to work for Corus Entertainment, we encourage you to apply.
The Corus Entertainment Law Department provides legal advice and services to Corus’ various business units. We currently have an opening for a lawyer to join our Toronto team in a full-time position reporting to the Vice President, Associate General Counsel of the Law Department’s Corporate Team. The Corporate Team manages a broad portfolio, including corporate services, corporate transactions, corporate securities, labour and employment, intellectual property, technology, privacy, real estate and litigation.The Director, Legal Counsel will be primarily responsible for providing corporate/commercial legal advice and services, but will also provide legal advice and services in other areas of the Corporate Team’s portfolio.
- Advise on corporate/commercial matters including M&A, joint ventures, strategic partnerships, restructurings and corporate finance;
- Advise on labour and employment matters in conjunction with Corus’ People Team;
- Draft a wide range of legal documentation including corporate transaction agreements, shareholder and partnership agreements, technology agreements, employment agreements, contractor agreements, service agreements, license agreements, corporate action documentation and corporate securities documentation;
- Manage corporate secretarial matters in conjunction with Corus’ corporate services clerk; and
- Support colleagues and act as a resource for contract managers as part of a collaborative team environment.
Asset (but not required):
- Lawyer in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario;
- 2-4 years of experience as a corporate/commercial solicitor at either a top tier law firm or a large company/organization.
- Experience working with labour and employment law;
- Experience working with the media industry;
- Experience working with corporate securities law; and
- Experience drafting and negotiating technology and intellectual property license agreements;
- Excellent drafting and negotiating skills;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy;
- Ability to build strong working relationships with colleagues, internal clients and counterparts;
- An ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines even if it requires working longer hours (as needed);
- Strong work ethic and a “can do” attitude;
- Strong leadership and organizational skills; and
- Adaptable and interested in learning new skills and practice areas when needed.
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day - Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique - and amazing - place to work.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
- No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.