The Human Resources Generalist is responsible for developing the company Human Resources strategy and ensuring that all company policies and programs meet legislative requirements. This includes maintaining the Health and Safety policy and program, the employee manual and adhering to the company hiring practices. The Human Resources Generalist works with the Operations Manager to implement required changes and ensure all personnel requirements are met. They are also responsible for administering payroll, benefits, RRSP, WSIB along with other administrative tasks with respect to Human Resources.This position reports directly to the Operations Manager. In carrying out the duties of this position, a great deal of autonomy is exercised with final overview by the Operations Manager. It is also important that the Human Resources Generalist works extremely close with the Operations Manager to ensure that they are up to date on the basic overall operations of the corporation.
Human Resources Generalist Job Duties:
- Lead in recruiting and selecting qualified candidates for all available positions within Conestoga Students Inc. (CSI) and Conestoga Students Services Inc. (CSSI), which includes posting jobs, collecting resumes, setting up interviews, assisting in the selection, and creating offers of employment.
- Maintain all employee files by collecting and filing employee information, employee contracts, banking information, and work-study information for all staff.
- Working with the Operations Manager to create and update Job Descriptions and develop applicant pool
- Create and conduct all new hire onboarding and legislative trainings including WHMIS, AODA, Violence and Harassment, and health and safety in conjunction with Operations manager.
- Create and conduct general organizational trainings
- Work with the appropriate Department Manager or Supervisor to interview and select applicants.
- Conduct reference checks as necessary
- Schedule orientation for new employees and compile orientation packages/information
- Ensure all new hire onboarding packages are completed
- Submit required work study information to financial aid as required
- Ensure all Health and Safety practices are up to date, meet legislative requirements, and are adhered to in the workplace in conjunction with the General Manager, Assistant General Manager and Operations Manager
- Stay up to date on legislative changes and ensure employee policies and procedures are up to date and meets legislative requirements. Updating employee handbook as required.
- Conduct all employee off boarding, including exit interview, termination packages, ROE, collecting company property, etc.
- Stay current with legal requirements and industry practices through various sources
- Ownership of the companies HRIS systems (BambooHR and WhenIWork)
- Assist in the creation of an annual compensation strategy
- Assist in the annual audit by providing information and documents as required to external auditor
- Complete organizational/special projects as assigned by operations manager
- Administer weekly and bi-weekly payroll for all part-time, contract and full-time staff within CSI and CSSI.
- Administer benefits plan including filing paperwork, explaining the plan to employees and answering employee questions.
- Administer the RRSP plan, explaining the plan to employees, and completing all paperwork as required in conjunction with Financial Controller
- WSIB administration including filing reports, handling appeals, monitoring the claims record and early return to work
Other General Duties
- Work in accordance with corporate by-laws, policies and procedures, particularly to the CSI Mission Statement
- Maintain confidentiality for business practices
- Work in an organized manner where detail, accuracy and confidentiality are critical
- Mandatory attendance at CSI related training days
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources, Business Administration or other relevant education.
- 3 years of progressive Human Resources experience
- Knowledge of health and safety and other applicable legislation
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Proven ability to enact positive and creative organizational changes
- Policy and procedure writing experience an asset
The unavoidable, externally imposed conditions under which the work must be performed and which create hardship for the successful candidate including the frequency and duration of occurrence of physical demands, environmental conditions, demands on one’s senses and mental demands.
The Human Resources Generalist will spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers, which can cause muscle strain. The Human Resources Generalist will also have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time. Some work is required after office hours and on weekends.
The Human Resources Generalist is located in a busy, open area office, will be faced with constant interruptions, and must meet with others on a regular basis.
The Human Resources Generalist must spend long hours in intense concentration. The incumbent must also spend long hours on the computer entering information which requires attention to detail and high levels of accuracy.
There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, which may cause significant stress. The successful candidate must also deal with a wide variety of people on various issues.
If you require any accommodations for the application process and or interview process, please feel free to let us know when you submit your resume. It is our goal to provide a barrier free hiring process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $50,000.00 to $60,000.00 /year
- Human Resources: 3 years (Preferred)