Yard Persons maintain the lumberyard. They load and unload materials, store them in the proper locations. This is accomplished by using a variety of equipment including forklifts, pallet jacks, lumber carts, etc. They must also greet and serve yard customers and, therefore, need to be familiar with inventory, prices, returns and exchange policies.
- Load and unload materials.
- Take all necessary safety precautions when handling freight, tools, and equipment.
- Storematerial in correct locations in the yard.
- Identify and assist customers with advice, information, and/or help in gathering and loading orders.
- Keep the yard clean and the inventory neat and orderly.
- Be familiar with the locations(s) of all inventory and equipment.
- Be familiar with the safe operation and maintenance of equipment, including forklift, lumber cart, pallet jack, banding machine, etc.
- Assist customers in handling large or heavy items.
- Be aware of theft and take action, in line with company policy, to report or discourage it.
- Restock lumber piles, sheds, etc. when they are depleted.
- Deliver purchases and/or pick up returned goods.
- Receive incoming merchandise.
- Check incoming merchandise against orders or invoices, identify damaged goods, shortages, and backorders.
- Report any shortages, damaged goods, and backorders to your supervisor.
- Make suggestions for rule, policy, and/or procedure changes when you think that such changes will improve efficiency, morale, profits, sales, etc.
- Help in training new employees.
- Work on any special projects assigned by your supervisor, after determining their priority in relation to your other duties.
- Work on additional duties and assignments as assigned by management.
- Work in a safe manner in accordance to provincial and federal safety legislation, as well as use of good common sense. Report any potential hazards and unsafe behavior to management in order to have the situation corrected.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with customers, management, and employees.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including Saturdays.
- Must be alert to all yard activities to help customers, use equipment properly, help in loss control and yard safety and security measures, etc.
- Must read and comprehend written and printed materials, as well as information presented in numerical form.
- Must safely operate yard equipment and tools, including forklift, pallet jack, lumber cart, banding machine, panel saw, etc.
- Must move materials weighing up to 100 pounds to or from the yard, placing them on or removing them from trucks, pallets, etc.
- Ability to work co-operatively in a team atmosphere.
- Must have a valid class G drivers license.
- Reports directly to the Store Manager or Onwer
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $14.50 to $15.50 /hour
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $14.50 to $15.00 /hour