The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
As a local expression of The Salvation Army, Broadview Village has 40+ years of providing outstanding support to adults with developmental disabilities and mental health challenges. Broadview Village residences provide around-the-clock support to individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental health challenges. We are currently hiring two (2) Relief Residential Counsellors. Available shifts include days, afternoons, nights, weekends & holidays at the Toronto (Yonge/Wilson) location. These positions are highly flexible and are scheduled on a rotational, as-needed basis with no guaranteed pattern or number of weekly hours.
This position requires someone who has a passion for, and takes initiative in, implementation of programming for individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental health challenges in areas such as personal care & hygiene, advocacy, and community integration. Working collaboratively within a team, as well as with a large number of stakeholders including healthcare professionals, consultants, colleagues, community members, family members and friends is required in this role. This position also needs a resilient direct support professional who is confident in navigating conflict, overcoming obstacles, and creative in providing support to individuals in crisis.
The Residential Counsellor must ensure that their activities are in compliance with established legislation, and policies and procedures including: Employment Standards; Occupational Health & Safety Standards; Collective Agreements; Payroll Procedures; Salvation Army Accreditation; and Services and Supports to Promote the Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act, 2008 (SIPDDA).
· Providing support for residents’ personal development as decided through individual support planning (ISP) as well as advocating on their behalf/facilitating self-advocacy to community supports in collaboration with colleagues and other healthcare professionals
· Completing documentation and maintaining records as required
· Medication administration
· Ensuring learning opportunities are provided utilizing agency and community resources
· Fostering independence in residents including supervising and assisting residents with meal preparation and clean-up and other daily living skills
· Maintaining cleanliness of program site, ensuring health and safety protocols are closely followed
· Following and promoting the agency’s and House program goals and philosophy
· Other duties as assigned
· Developmental Services Worker Diploma or other degree/diploma related to human services is preferred
· 6+ months’ experience working with people with developmental disabilities is preferred, ideally working with individuals who have a dual diagnosis of mental health challenges and developmental disabilities
· Familiarity with implementing program goals in alignment with Individual Support Plans
· Counselling/de-escalation skills required
· Medication administration experience preferred
· Valid Standard First Aid Certificate (including CPR)
· Ability to achieve Nonviolent Crisis Intervention certificate upon hire
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
· A clear vulnerable sector screening
· Valid First Aid Certificate (including CPR)
· Valid driver’s license an asset, and clean driver’s abstract required
These are casual positions with no guaranteed number or pattern of hours. Relief Residential Counsellors are called on an as-needed basis with the opportunity to accept shifts as they are offered.
Toronto (Yonge/Wilson). You would be placed on a rotational staffing list
TO APPLY: Please Click "Apply Now" Button!
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
These are Bargaining Unit positions represented by OPSEU Local 550
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $17.68 /hour