The Windows Systems Administrator is responsible for maintaining hardening and patching on Windows, and potentially some Linux servers, which are used to support BCNET's services. You will ensure that you adhere to security best practices for assigned infrastructure, while working with BCNET's ISO. You will apply and implement server management tools to monitor and create baseline performances. In addition, you will maintain and verify the integrity of backups of service infrastructure. Providing support to BCNET's Network Services, Client Services, Shared Systems and Technology as required and document work through help desk and change management software and other means.
JOB DUTIES AND TASKS:
You would be
- Working with the BCNET Manager, Information Technology and as a member of the IT team, provide first and second level operational support to ensure the stability and service levels of the Windows servers BCNET for which is responsible;
- Monitoring server infrastructure activity and connectivity, troubleshoots, diagnoses and resolves
- server infrastructure problems;
- Assessing server infrastructure problems and assist with developing solutions and implementation plans for resolutions.
- Advising and makes recommendations to the technical life cycle planning of the BCNET Windows server infrastructure;
- Patch and maintain the security integrity of the windows server.
- Employing technical expertise and represents BCNET and Network Services, Client Services, Shared Systems and Technology in developing workflows and processes to be built in TeamDynamix;
- Utilizing existing toolsets to perform server or appliance installations, troubleshooting and documentation tasks and security procedures;
- Implement of best practices, standards, procedures and quality objectives across the infrastructure and platforms;
- Maintaining appropriate professional designations and up-to-date knowledge of current information technology techniques and tools;
- Occasionally required to provide after-hours on-call support on a rotational basis and be available off-hours to work on emergency server infrastructure problems, maintenance, or project activities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Be a Canadian citizen or have required documentation to work in Canada (please confirm in your cover letter)
- Have a technology diploma/degree and 6-8 years of progressive experience in administering Windows systems.
- Have an understanding of scripting and command-line tools such as PowerShell to administer Windows servers.
- Have and show competence with Active Directory, MSSQL and DNS.
- Have strong IIS installation, maintenance and security skills
- Strong VMware virtualization skills
- Have experience with LDAP, Radius, DHCP, DNS
- Have experience in working in an environment requiring robust Change Control processes and procedures.
- Be able to monitor performance and troubleshoot alerts using tools instructed to use.
- Microsoft Windows automation tools (i.e. PowerShell, DSC)
- Know the fundamentals of IT security, hardening practices, and security management tools.
- Have experience with system failure analysis and recovery. Ensuring system consistency and integrity.
- Have some understanding of Database systems (i.e. Mysql, PostgreSQL,)
- Good knowledge of LAMP configuration
- Have experience in effectively presenting technical solutions to customers
- Have an SSCP Certification
- Automation (i.e. Ansible, Puppet, Chef)
- Familiarity with Jira, Wiki, and Confluence applications.
- Strong Linux adminsitration skills.
- Experience working within the higher education
BCNET is one of the leading shared services organisations in research and education networks. We offer technology services and solutions enabling world class research and education anywhere in British Columbia by harnessing the collaborative spirit of our members.
As a not-for-profit shared services organization, we continuously engage with our stakeholders to explore, develop and deliver solutions that meet the evolving needs of our members.
We offer an excellent compensation package including competitive salary, and a complete range of benefits including defined benefit pension plan, healthcare coverage and wellness allowance. Our work environment is diverse, collegial and entrepreneurial.
Please forward your resume with a cover letter clearly documenting your suitability for this roleby December 9, 2019 . Thank you to all candidates but only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time