We’re looking for an outstanding and committed Greenhouse Assistant Grower to help lead greenhouse operations in our 18-acre, Sweet Bell Pepper greenhouse.
You demonstrate and exude confidence in all your work through competency and personal integrity. This will be evident in your independent and collaborative leadership. You display professionalism, are safety conscious, motivated, goal oriented and results driven.
In this position, you’ll maintain a “safety-first” mentality and a great appreciation that “your employees are your biggest asset.” You are part of our grow team and operate one phase of our three greenhouse phases, which totals 54 acres. You lead and are solely responsible to ensure the highest-level of product quality and greenhouse efficiencies.
You have "A Growing Passion."
- Collaboration in crops; greenhouse sanitation and prep to seed through to last annual harvest.
- Lead on growing climate using the Priva operating system to optimize plant balance and high-quality production.
- Timely discuss IPM and crop strategies openly with growing team and mentor.
- Review crop health, production and operations with senior management and mentor.
- Monitor quality and effectiveness of greenhouse operations and its equipment, report if necessary.
- Harvest and track crop trials for potential future varieties.
- Forecast the production of your crops and its quality through crop registration.
- Assess and sustain crop processes for crop teams ensuring the successful monitoring of plant growth and balance to influence factors in production (crop work, harvesting, fertilizer, irrigation, climate).
- Encourage and empower your labour through continuous improvement training (SOPs, training videos, toolbox talks) and provide opportunities for individual employees who show initiative and potential to succeed.
- Track labour efficiencies through Priva Assist and hold employees and oneself to the set expectations.
- Assistant Managers duties:
- Live and lead your day to day work through the core values established by the company and focus on the mission statement set forth by the management team.
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with multiple departments including greenhouse, packaging, maintenance and health and safety.
- Establish and review goals and objectives with senior management and mentors.
- Actively participate in team seminars, discussions and meetings, management meetings, employee development and health and safety committees.
- Be organized, methodical, and precise in the day to day tasks, observations, and communication.
- Follow strict food safety, and health and safety rules and regulations.
The successful candidate must have:
- A background in greenhouse operation through schooling (Agricultural Engineering Degree) and work experience.
- Exceptional people skills. A true motivator with a passion to help staff feel appreciated and valued.
- The ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing in English (Spanish or Punjabi is an asset).
- A relentless passion to solve both human and operational issues.
- Highly organized and self-motivated in efficiently prioritizing the workload of others and oneself.
We offer the ability to work on a great team, freedom to succeed and grow, a competitive salary, bonus and benefits – and all in the scenic landscapes and welcoming community of Delta, B.C.
Westcoast Vegetables Ltd. is a fourth-generation family farm founded in 1999. We grow and package 54 acres (22 ha) of Sweet Bell Peppers in Delta, B.C. We use the latest growing and packaging technology to ensure the highest quality for our customers.
If this sounds like a fit, we’d like to hear from you.
- Vision care
- Dental care
- Extended health care
Reference ID: WC-ASS-GROW-P1
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent