Herizon House is a 30 bed shelter for women and children leaving abusive relationships. We offer crisis intervention counselling, emergency shelter, a transitional housing program, outreach programs and child and family programs. We are located in Durham Region. We are seeking talented, energetic and passionate staff to fill our relief roster. Relief Staff are vital to our agency in providing casual, on call coverage for the shelter. We are in need of multiple relief staff who are available to work a variety of shifts sometimes with short notice in our 24/7 facility. Shifts can range from Monday-Friday's, overnights, weekends and holidays. Applicants must be able to work overnight shifts and statutory holidays.
Herizon House is a CUPE unionized workplace.
- Answer our 24/crisis line and provide supportive counseling and referrals to all clients calling
- Conduct phone assessments to help determine service needs to either bring client into shelter or make appropriate referrals as necessary
- Assess women and children’s risk and safety though the completion of the intake process.
- Remain up-to-date on community resources to enable you to provide appropriate resources and referral s to clients on an impromptu basis
- Be responsible for identifying key issues in the shelter and maintaining awareness of the day to day issues facing the communal environment
- Preserve safety and security of shelter facility at all times
- Ensure that all necessary resident files, forms and documentation are complete for your shift
- Represent agency in a professional manner at all times
- Minimum: Diploma/Degree in Social Services
- Proven education/training and experience on the issue of gendered based violence and violence against women
- One year's experience in a residential setting
- Proven experience with Feminist Philosophy in Counselling
- Crisis Intervention Experience
- A second language is desired
- Current CPR & First Aid
- Current Police Check with Vulnerable Persons check
Herizon House seeks to be an equal opportunity employer.
As part of our ongoing commitment to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act we will provide assistance to applicants who request accommodation through the recruitment process.
Job Type: Casual