IMAGINE a hospital where everyone is committed to excellence. We did. We are. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest patient care. At North York General Hospital (NYGH), we put our patients first in everything we do. We are achieving a new standard of excellence in integrated patient-centered care. and as one of Canada's leading community academic hospitals, we are building on our academic foundation through enhanced education, research and innovation. As part of our dynamic team, you too can stand out and be amazing! At NYGH, our team is making a world of difference. NYGH has recently been ranked the #2 Hospital in Canada by Newsweek.
Bed Control Specialist, Admitting & Patient Registration:
Your goal in this position is to be responsible for managing and assigning all inpatient beds in a manner that will facilitate the constant flow of patients. Beds will be assigned using the standardized criteria and using the bed assignment priority matrix for prioritization. You have excellent critical thinking and decision making skills. You have great communication, negotiation and analytical skills. You have strong interpersonal and customer service skills. You also have the ability to prioritize and work under pressure. This position supports the hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and families.
On a practical level, you will
- Process all inpatient admissions in the Cerner ADT system
- Prioritize the assignment using the assignment priority matrix
- Mobile Bed management and assignment on units- utilizing laptop
- Monitor the hospital bed status regularly and act as defined in the bed management policy
- Open and close unbudgeted beds as per bed management policy
- Alert appropriate administration as per bed management policy when reaching key trigger points
- Ensure the bed board is kept up to date by entering all required information in a timely fashion
- Maintain a log of people returning from other facilities in the electronic bed board
- Issue new born OHIP forms and maintain log books
- Maintain death registry, ensure all documentation has been completed before authorizing the release of body to funeral home or coroner
- Ensure collection and quality of midnight census information
- Provide cross coverage for Emergency Registration when the need arises
- Medical Secretarial diploma or equivalent experience required
- Current registration with a professional college such as The College of Nurses, CHIMA, College of Health Records Administrators, preferred
- Medical Terminology required
- Previous experience in bed control, preferred
- 3 - 5 years’ experience in a health care field
- Accurate Keyboarding skills of 45 words per minute or greater required
- Use of Computer Technology – Cerner required, Teletracking and FirstNet, preferred
- Proficient in Excel, Windows and Word Microsoft Applications
- Clinically knowledgeable about acute care diseases and infection control practices
Bilingualism in French/English an asset
What We Offer
Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Full Time Regular position with 8 hour shifts, 52.5 hours bi-weekly, all shifts, including weekends, and holidays, in the Admitting & Patient Registration Department. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package that includes benefits, pension, and vacation. If you were searching for more reasons to consider joining the wonderful team at NYGH, check out some features of our Total Rewards package by visiting nygh.on.ca
How to Apply
Think you're the right person for the job? Here's your first chance to show us why:
Ensure to meet the deadline - only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.