Reporting to the Dean, Faculty of Health & Human Services, and working within a framework of established policies, procedures and legislated requirements, the Program Assistant,Faculty of Health & Human Services (HHS) provides clerical and administrative support to faculty, staff, and students in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Early Childhood Care & Education, Health Care Assistant, Human Services, and Practical Nursing departments, as identified by the Dean.
The Program Assistant is a vital member of the Faculty of HHS team and is responsible for:
- Day to day operational support and administrative functioning of the programs (faculty and students) at the NIC Comox Valley St. Joseph's campus;
- Maintenance and preparation of department materials, instructional resources, accreditation documents and learning management system;
- Administrative representative of the Faculty of HHS programs internally for all applicable systems and processes and externally to community partners as well as vendors;
- Reception to programs at the NIC Comox Valley St. Joseph's campus.
- Job Knowledge
- Planning & Organization
- Customer Service Excellence
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Day to day operational support and administrative functioning of HHS departments (faculty and students) including but not limited to:
- Provide reception for HHS programs housed at the NIC Comox Valley, St. Joe's campus;
- Communication and day to day administration internal and external to HHS for students and faculty (including student tracking, meeting materials, vendors, Colleague reports, purchasing, reports, orientations, etc.);
- Prepare correspondence and reports at request of Chair or Dean;
- Format, editing, proof-reading of departmental materials;
- Assist and facilitate special projects as necessary;
- Provide technical support for HHS staff and faculty across campuses, directing liaison as appropriate to IT;
- Maintain available office space and resources;
- Responsible for supporting the scheduling, review and submission of all annual review processes required with the academic year including but not limited to Viewbook, calendar updates, marketing materials, etc.;
- Book student meetings with appropriate resources at the NIC Comox Valley St. Joseph's campus.
2. Maintenance and preparation of department materials, instructional resources, learning management system:
- Course materials (print based and learning management system based) which includes layout design, formatting, copy editing and preparing course materials for the learning management system and course delivery, with updating and maintaining all requisition and term forms;
- Confidential course and faculty evaluations which includes corresponding with faculty and preparing course or faculty evaluation to be distributed to the students, collecting and collating the evaluation while maintaining confidentiality for the students and faculty;
- Ensure all curriculum material that includes copyrighted works is copied appropriately under license or through permission and assists faculty with determination of appropriate process for use of copyrighted materials and retains records of all course materials and copyright correspondence.
3. Administrative representative of the Health and Human Services departments internally for all applicable systems and processes and externally to community partners as well as vendors:
- Represent the HHS departments at the NIC Comox Valley St. Joseph's internally and externally including all internal and external written communication for department (e.g. student exit letters).
4. Any and all other duties as assigned by the Dean, Faculty of Health and Human Services.
Required Education & Experience
1. Completion of an Administrative Assistant Certificate program or equivalent.
2. A minimum of 3 to 5 years related administrative experience ideally in a post-secondary environment including a minimum of 1-2 years' experience working in a customer service environment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
1. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the demonstrated ability to exercise tact, good judgment and diplomacy in all situations is imperative: commitment to confidentiality and discretion with the ability to approach all situations in a sensitive manner.
2. Advanced level of proficiency Microsoft Office:
word processing, database development and maintenance, minimum 60 WPM, learning management system organization, archiving, uploading, formatting, communication, and maintenance.
3. Demonstrated critical, analytical, and lateral thinking.
4. Strong attention to detail and accuracy in all work.
5. Ability to work in a multi-task and prioritize on a daily basis in a complex busy environment while completing long terms projects and/or responsibilities through demonstration of excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to plan and prioritize tasks, and efficiently meet strict deadlines.
6. Ability to work independently and display initiative and independent decision making on a regular basis as well as collaboratively as an effective team member.
7. Ability to be dynamic and flexible based on needs of department, faculty, students and or external bodies: demonstrates initiative, work in a solution focused manner and anticipate needs of faculty and students.
8. Excellent written communication skills including experience developing formatting and editing documents.
9. Advanced level proficiency with learning management systems.
10. Physical requirement may be required for event organization and preparation.
11. Experience working directly with faculty and students is preferred.
12. Knowledge of the College's policies, procedures, and educational operations and of the BC post-secondary system is an asset.
13. Familiarity working in a large database system, including Colleague, is an asset.
- Applicants should be prepared for testing
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please scan copies of your transcripts into one document for attachment. If your transcripts are not available at the time of application, please attach a letter or certificate of confirmation from the educational institution.