Reports to: Operation Coordinator
Movers help customers moving at their homes or businesses. Movers prepare items for transportation to another destination. On a team with other helpers, they help prepare, load, and unload items, and some also drive the moving truck. Movers work a physically demanding job that requires heavy lifting, sometimes work on nights and weekends to meet customers’ requests.
Mover Duties and Responsibilities
As part of a two-person or multi-person moving crew and under the direction of the operations coordinator. A mover’s day-to-day duties and responsibilities are determined by where they work, there are many core tasks associated with the role. Based on our experience, these include:
Responsible for the overall safe operation of moving trucks and having a good knowledge of local areas and following truck routes for on time arrival. Inspects and cleans the inside and exterior of the trucks and completes and hands in truck inspection reports on a per-run basis. Reports any maintenance or truck damages to the Dispatcher immediately and completes, signs and hands in an Incident Report covering the details the same day. Complete logbooks as required on long distance moves.
Packing boxes and Prepare Items
At the origin movers help prepare and pack customers’ items & property to prevent damage during transit. Their tasks include laying out floor runners, door protection and padding stair railings. Taking apart furniture, wrapping items in stretch wrap, plastic bags, or furniture pads, properly packing loose items in labeled boxes and sealed bags. Utilize wooden crates for special items of value. Take photos of existing damages of items or property and report to client to prevent future claims
Load and Unload Items
Movers use equipment like dollies and ramps to load customers’ items from their homes/buildings to the moving truck. They arrange items in the truck to fit the load and prevent objects from falling or getting damaged. At the destination, movers take the items off the truck and place them in the locations the customer requests.
Keeping track of the customer’s items to make sure nothing gets lost or damaged is an important responsibility that movers have for long distance moves. Write down a description of each package or item at the customer’s location before starting loading. Affix a numbered sticker to each item. Movers check this inventory when they reach the destination to ensure they unload all the items.
Handle Customer Requests
Movers also answer customers’ questions and address requests they have for how they want items packed, loaded, and unloaded. They also provide information about time estimates and address any concerns. Immediately reports any customer’s complaints or inquiries to the Dispatcher and follows instructions given to resolve.
Perform Cleaning and Maintenance Tasks
Before leaving the customer’s loading site & Destination site, movers clean up any supplies or garbage left behind during the packing/moving process. They also keep their moving trucks clean and may help perform general vehicle maintenance.
- Act as an ambassador for Ferguson Moving & Storage with all customers, coworkers, and management by providing both courteous and professional
- Ensures familiarity with all terms and conditions given to customers https://fergusonmoving.com/ferguson-moving-terms-conditions/
- Attend paid training meetings as required
- Performs other related duties as required
- Must maintain a brisk but safe pace of work to make profits on our guaranteed quotes.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Current and valid B.C. Class 5 driver’s license
- Drivers abstract acceptable to Ferguson Moving & Storage
- Minimum 1 year driving experience
- Preference given to experience working as a mover or in other recent jobs requiring use of physical strength and coordination abilities
- Good English oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated physical strength and fitness with the ability to lift 70lbs
- Ability & willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Ability & willingness to work overtime on short notice or without notice to meet customer & client needs
- Must supply own basic tools. Screw drivers, Allen keys, Plyers, Rubber mallet.
- Uphold our advertised guarantees and exceed customers’ expectations as described in our sales brochure. https://fergusonmoving.com/#dearflip-df_7/1/
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent, Seasonal
Contract length: 6 months
Salary: $19.00-$30.00 per hour
- Company events
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 10 hour shift
- 12 hour shift
- 4 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Every Weekend
- Monday to Friday
- Morning shift
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus pay
- Overtime pay
Ability to commute/relocate:
- North Vancouver, BC V7J 1A4: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Commercial driving: 1 year (preferred)
- Moving: 1 year (required)
- Class 5 Licence (preferred)
- Day Shift (required)
- Night Shift (required)
- Overnight Shift (required)