Electricity Operations is responsible for the electrical transmission and distribution systems in the City of Edmonton, with a focus on safety, reliability, and innovative and practical solutions. Our employees look after electrical infrastructure as well as the underground and aerial distribution networks.
Are you looking for a great team that strives to maintain a zero-injury organizational culture? Electricity Services’ System Operations group currently has an opportunity for a motivated professional engineer to join our team as the Manager, Operations Engineering. Operations Engineering’s primary mission is to provide support to EDTI’s real-time System Control function, to enable and ensure the safe, reliable, and efficient real-time operation of EDTI’s distribution and transmission electric system.
EPCOR currently has one (1) full-time permanent position available, located in Edmonton, AB!
In this role, you will lead & work collaboratively with your team, your peer managers, and other EPCOR Electricity departments to achieve individual, team, and organizational deliverables.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, System Engineering, the responsibilities of this role include (but are not limited to):
- Providing management of activities that support the real-time operation of the EDTI D&T system. This includes:
o engineering support and inputs to System Control
o ensuring optimal integration of advanced distribution technologies
o and ensuring the quality and functionality of EDTI system control models, ADMS models and SCADA control system
- Developing and implementing appropriate deliverables within the context of the System Engineering business plan.
- Creating and managing a strong team of front line employees, including determining optimal numbers, recruitment, retention, and development.
- Ensuring business plans and deliverables of direct report positions are aligned and integrated, and include performance expectations and deliverable metrics.
- Strategically planning and identifying the budget requirements for the provision of engineers, technology upgrades, and system improvements for improved safety, reliability and effectiveness.
- Ensuring the technical integrity, maintenance and optimized performance of the EPCOR Electricity’s ADMS system model, power applications, and SCADA systems for real time electric system operations.
- Accountable for engineering studies, analysis of results and recommendations in support of real time system control activities and recommendations for system improvements.
- Identifying, developing, and reviewing of System Operations procedures and processes to ensure reliable and safe operations and compliance to policies, standards, regulatory requirements and scheduling.
- Analyzing and identifying issues impacting operational performance and establishing initiatives for continuous improvement.
- Establishing inputs for System Planning and Asset Management functions concerning aging assets and system condition and area growth that are proving to limit efficient system operations.
- Responsible to providing technical input and recommendations for EPCOR Electricity’s Smart Grid technology and DER strategy, decisions, implementation, and research activities.
Proactively supporting a safe work environment toward a zero injury culture.
Supporting other teams, departments, or organizational deliverables and functions as required.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- B.Sc., M.Sc., or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, preferably specializing in power, smart grid, or control systems.
- Professional Engineer registered or eligible for registration as a P.Eng. with APEGA in Alberta.
Sound knowledge of electric transmission and distribution power systems, methods, and engineering.
3-10 years of progressively responsible experience as a leader in one of power system engineering, grid operations, power system planning, or protection and control engineering, or related industries.
Demonstrated strong focus on safety in past work experience.
Strong analytical and problem solving skills to meet commitments.
Creative problem solving coupled with an ability to manage a wide variety of issues simultaneously.
Strong ability to lead and provide guidance to team members, as well as adapt to different styles of communication.
Additionally, experience or skills that may set the successful candidate apart from others include:
Management or leadership experience.
Power System modelling (distribution and transmission), Power System Planning and Power System Asset Management.
Power grid operations, including experience working in a grid control center.
SCADA configuration and alarming (DNP3.0 and IEC61850).
HMI design and best-practices.
Experience with ADMS systems including DMS, OMS, EMS, DERMS.
Experience with grid-automation and smart grid (Volt-Var, DA, DER)
Analytics applications (VBA, Python, Power BI, R)
Industrial OT control systems (Remote terminal units, IEDs, and data-concentrators in a power system context)
A secondary degree or qualifications in IT or Management of Information Systems (MIS).
As the ideal candidate, you have the ability to lead, motivate and empower employees. You have excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as interpersonal skills that create an atmosphere of trust and mutual respect among all team members. You know how to lead a team to solve multi-disciplinary engineering, technical, and business problems in a rapidly evolving field of advanced control systems for power grid operations.
In addition, you have a demonstrated track record of self-organization, initiative, process and sustainability mind-set, motivation to learn, ability to adapt to changing situations, and most importantly a safety-and-reliability-first mind-set.
Hours of Work:
8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Clean water and reliable energy are at the heart of what we do. We proudly keep the lights on and the water flowing in over 100 communities across North America. With a rich 125-year history, EPCOR has ambitions to be one of North America's premier providers of essential services, and we have the top employer and sustainability awards to prove it. If you're looking for new opportunities, people who care and work that matters, apply today to find a career where you matter more. Check out epcor.com/careers to find out more.
Commencing with your first day of employment as a permanent EPCOR employee you will enjoy a variety of benefits, such as:
Annual incentive (bonus) pay program
One Friday off per month
Five paid personal days off each year
Flexible benefits plan
Access to internal and external career development programs
Financial support for personal development
Financial support for employee wellness
Career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines and operational areas
Financial support for charitable organizations that employees contribute to
Please note the following information:
A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
If you are being considered for a driving position, a current 5 year commercial Driver Abstract will be required.
A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.