Nature is full of surprises, but your future doesn’t have to be.
Forecast a fulfilling career with us!
Why We Need You…
Do you have a strong interest in DevOps methodologies, software architecture and design, and cloud computing? Passionate about refactoring legacy systems and building new platforms for the future? Ready to take an active part in defining a new enterprise DevOps strategy at The Weather Network / Meteomedia?
Come and join us as a Lead DevOps Developer. You will be responsible for developing the automation of our on-prem and cloud applications, systems, services and processes. If you're looking to play a leading technology role on a multi-faceted set of infrastructure priorities in a fast-paced software delivery environment, you are in the right place.
You are comfortable architecting object-oriented software and coding in multiple OO languages, and are able to rapidly learn new and upcoming technologies as required. You are comfortable creating scripts and templates to aid Agile teams to maximize productivity via Infrastructure as Code following test driven practice.
What’s the Day to Day Look Like?
The specific focus for the Lead DevOps Developer is on leading and executing automation and optimization of the development and platform management life-cycle including:
- Establish and improve continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) pipeline to fully automate the deployment of the highly available, mission critical on-prem and/or cloud platforms
- Create self-service capabilities to enable developers to write and manage micro-services
- Automate provisioning and monitoring of a global deployment of micro-services through Infrastructure-as-Code
- Write unit tests and integration tests to validate infrastructure code
- Build tools to aid with deployment, monitoring and operations
- Implement process and quality improvements through task automation
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in our development, test and production environments
- Work with platform tech leads on software and system optimizations helping to identify and remove potential performance bottlenecks.
- Understand, implement, and automate security controls, governance processes, and compliance validation where needed.
- Lead teams through CI/CD design, micro-service development, testing from local to production
- Design, manage, and maintain DevOps tools to automate operational processes
- Own, maintain and grow DevOps environment, including its infrastructure and code
Roles, responsibilities and duties may evolve and change over time.
Qualifications (Must Haves):
- 5+ years hands-on relevant DevOps and CI/CD automation experience
- 7+ years of Core OO and/or scripting languages experience. (ie Java, Bash, etc) (Design Patterns, OOP, etc)
- 2+ years Software and/or DevOps Leadership experience
- 2+ years deploying pipelines to cloud environments (ie GKE, AWS, Azure)
- You feel at home on the Linux command line. Though you will not focus your efforts on bash scripting none of the following should make you uncomfortable: ‘vi’, ‘awk’, ‘sed’
- Proven experience in building automation infrastructure and pipelines for CI/CD (real-world experience with most of the following: Git, Jenkins, CloudFormation, TerraForm, Rancher, etc.)
- Real-world experience and/or knowledge of Container technology such as Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
- Logging and monitoring using ELK Stack with the intent of high precision telemetry
- Practical Knowledge and demonstrated hands-on best practices and DevOps operations in an always-up, always-available mission critical service.
- Experience with both SQL and NoSQL data stores and knowing where to use each.
- Ability to set up load balancer and firewall rules in enterprise environment, with fundamental knowledge of core concepts like DNS, Firewalls, Networking, etc
- Knowledge of network and web related protocols like TCP/IP, HTTPS along with the routing protocols.
- Understand service discovery concepts like service mesh (ie ISTIO)
- Understand test best practices including core concepts such as Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Ability to perform defect root cause analysis on the entire stack and provide resolution
- Lead by example through demonstration of best practices and efficiency of DevOps
- The ability to operate in a team environment consisting of multiple collaborators and stakeholders, both internal and external members, co-workers and customers
You are made for this if you...
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong multi-tasker, with the ability to set priorities and stay focused under tight deadlines
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Able to motivate other technologists and to explain complex technology to non-technologists
- Creative thinking and natural curiosity when solving complex problems
- Courageous advocate for your ideas but also able to compromise with peers
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills with Product Managers and others
- Energetic and enthusiastic and able to work with flexibility in a highly dynamic environment
- Please include your open source contributions on github.com, we would love to take a peek. Be sure to include your StackOverflow id, too!
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Agencies, we ask that you please not solicit.
Please note that part of our recruitment and selection process includes references and background checks. Our background checks include criminal, education, and employment checks.
Pelmorex Corp is committed to equity in the workplace.
What are we about? We’re the #1 weather company in Canada. We’re about providing current, accurate and detailed weather information. Our website is in the top 5 news sites in Canada and our weather app is the most popular weather app in Canada!
Why join us? Our founder, Pierre Morrissette, has built a culture where you feel like you’re a part of an extended family. People are friendly. People are accessible. People truly care about each other. Together we’re focused on the future and becoming the international leaders in weather information.
Just a few reasons to join our amazing team include competitive salary and benefits, a casual work environment and summer hours. We offer endless tea and fresh coffee, a busy social calendar of events and proximity to great amenities. We have plenty of free parking and are a few-minutes’ walk to the nearest bus stop.
Do you have what it takes? We’re looking for people who live and breathe our core values; people who have the WOW factor! Who handle themselves with HONESTY & INTEGRITY and through TEAMWORK & COLLABORATION will INSPIRE INNOVATION & DRIVE CHANGE! People who are RESULTS ORIENTED, have a PASSION FOR EXCELLENCE & EXECUTION and through FOCUS & TENACITY challenge the status quo and think outside the box. We’re looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers who can ENGAGE PEOPLE with their RESPECT & WIN-WIN attitude. Most of all, we’re looking for people who are passionate about what they do and about the weather. Does this sound like you?