Job Location: Maple Ridge Seniors Village
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Reporting to the General Manager and/or desigante the Director of Care is accountable for
directing and mentoring care staff to ensure resident focused care is achieved, maintaining
accountability of the nursing staff to ensure that resident focused care is appropriate and
implemented, promoting departmental activities to maintain high quality resident care. Central
responsibilities include mentoring the staff to ensure the assessment of nursing care, planning
and implementation of programs to meet resident needs and the coordination of ongoing care
education at the facility. An ability to communicate effectively with residents and their families,
staff, and others in the community is essential. The Director of Care acts as a professional role
model for all staff. Will work collaboratively with the GM.
Include but not limited to;
1. Works with the management team in defining goals of the organization and contributes to the
development of Company policies and procedures by providing input and feedback.
2. Recruits and hires qualified nursing staff and arranges orientation to their responsibilities.
3. Provides direction and support to staff in their daily physical, psychological and social care of
residents. Through resident assessment, review of resident records, and consistent
communication with family and staff, makes informed decisions regarding referrals to
appropriate consultants– ensuring highest quality of life for the resident.
4. Works collaboratively with the RN to oversee completion of Resident Observation Tool, initial
and ongoing MDS assessment, completion of the initial care plan and updating the care plan
to reflect changes in the resident status.
5. Implementation of education programs, with follow-up evaluation of the programs to ensure
care has been improved or otherwise positively impacted. Use of various techniques, including
(but not limited to): ‘teachable moments’, ‘one on one’ meetings with staff, and guidance for
changes in care planning.
6. Applies corporate management policies, interprets collective agreements and responds to
grievances as required.
7. Evaluates staff performance and makes recommendations for improvement where indicated.
8. Schedules and delegates duties to care staff within staffing guidelines and departmental
9. Supervises the efficient use of facility supplies, equipment and manpower within the
10. Mentors staff in the provision of nursing care as it relates to the completion of assessments
within identified time frames, including the development and updating of care plans, to ensure
the strengths and needs of residents are identified in the provision of resident centered care
11. Disciplines and terminates staff in adherence to prevailing facility policies and procedures, in
collaboration with the GM.
12. Coordinates the admission and discharge of residents with all stakeholders.
13. Coordinates resident care with families, other departments, other care services and agencies.
Liaises with physicians, community agency representatives, families, visitors and volunteers.
14. Maintains a safe environment for residents/family and staff, through:
(a) accident prevention,
(b) knowledge of emergency procedures and regulations, supplies and equipment
(c) appropriate utilization of infection control procedure.
15. Ensures that programs related to risk management are established (e.g. Infection Control,
Medication Safety review Committee, OH&S Committee). Reports and monitors all resident
care indicators through the Care Management software program.
16. Monitors adherence to all applicable legislation and regulations.
17. Ensures staff are aware of all company policies and procedures and ensures communication
to staff when policies and procedures are changed or added.
18. Ensures paper and electronic documents are maintained as per established standards,
regulations, policies and procedures, ensuring confidentiality is maintained as per policies.
19. Encourages and adheres to a holistic philosophy of wellness, recognizing that each individual
is capable of, to varying degrees making decisions about his/her life and is a partner in the
20. Responsible for completion of WCB – Form 7 and back to work updates.
21. Familiar with Fraser Health Licensing
22. Ensure submission of all reports to FHA/Head Office as outlined i.e. CIHI; Hand Hygiene
Audits; Infection Control, Quality Indicators and all other reports as requested.
23. Acts on behalf of the General Manager in the absence of the General Manager.
24. Perform all other duties as required.
1. Current registration with the BCCNP as an RN, a degree in nursing and progressive nursing
experience and education, in which leadership and administrative skills have been
2. Minimum of three years’ work experience in management/administration.
3. Minimum of three years’ work experience in geriatrics OR a suitable combination of education
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to read, write and speak English proficiently and understand verbal and written
2. Ability to effectively interact with the various individuals involved in providing holistic care
in a flexible tenant focused environment.
3. Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills.
4. Ability to motivate and lead others in the accomplishment of a task.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary