Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Faculty of Health Sciences is a large, diverse, and comprehensive unit, comprised of six Schools (Nursing, Kinesiology, Health Studies, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Communication Sciences and Disorders), a large Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, and four Research Centres. The Faculty has more than 3,200 undergraduate students and more than 800 graduate students (200 PhD students).
The Rehabilitation Sectors Schools (Communication Sciences & Disorders, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy), share an integrated administrative structure, while supporting the mandate and uniqueness of each School. The Rehabilitation sector administrative team will leverage their talent, skillsets and cumuliative best practices to serve the Rehabilitatoin sector schools. This structure will result in a dynamic work day where each administrator will get exposure across the Rehab sector serving faculty, students and their peers.
The Office Assistant, in a confidential and timely manner, will contribute to the efficient running of the Rehab Sector Schools by performing a range of administrative tasks in accordance with Western's policies and procedures. The incumbent will assist with the day to day administrative activities in the Rehab Sector, provide back-up support for other administrative roles, and respond to general inquiries. The incumbent will handle incoming and outgoing mail, ensure that supplies inventories are adequate and maintained, assist with special projects and the preparation and processing of any required documentation. The Office Assistant will assist with the coordination of meetings and events, ensure any required resources are available, and that any associated documentation is prepared. At peak times the incumbent will support faculty members in preparing/organizing/photocopying course documents and readings required for teaching.
- Community College Diploma
- University degree preferred
Skills, Abilities & Expertise:
- 3 years of administrative experience providing customer service, preferably in a university setting
- Knowledge of general office procedures including records management systems
- Written and verbal communication skills to express ideas clearly, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Computer skills with the ability to learn and use software programs
- Basic computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Ability to follow formal business practices with high attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and maintain an organized and effective personal work environment
- Adapts readily and effectively to changing priorities and demands
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students and the public
- Demonstrated ability to understand and resolve external and internal partner issues
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Ability to work in a manner that is compliant with confidentiality requirements
- Strong keyboarding skills
Western offers a broad and exciting variety of part-time and temporary employment opportunities with ample room for job exploration and growth. Within our beautiful campus, you are part of a progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance including access to our state-of-the-art recreation centre. Apply for an opportunity to be part of the Western community and contribute to its success!
Applying at Western
To ensure that your application is given full consideration, please complete all relevant sections of the application. In addition, you can choose to supplement your application with a cover letter and current resume.
Consideration of applicants will include an assessment of previous performance, experience, and qualifications. Applicants should have oral communication skills in English.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.