DIRECT SUPPORT WORKER
(FULL TIME CONTRACT UNTIL APRIL 2020)
Camphill Communities Ontario is seeking for a full time contract Direct Support Worker (60 – 80 hours biweekly) in our Angus location. The scheduled hours of this position is structured to the needs of the Companions and the home, this means that the hours would be a combination of weekdays and weekends.
The Direct Support Worker is responsible for supporting the emotional, mental, spiritual, and physical growth of Companions living in any Camphill Communities Ontario Household. The DSW works in association with a designated house team and/or works for the team and adhere to the Ministry of Community and Social Services guidelines and Camphill Policies and Procedures.
- Participate in Person Centred Planning for Companions and assist in the implementation of their plans by respectfully supporting them.
- Work alongside Companions and encourage them to achieve the highest level of independence in personal care and relationships.
- Be able to utilize a personal outcome philosophy-based approach to support Companions in making informed choices that lead to successful attainment of their goals and aspirations
- Ensure that Companion’s rights are maintained, explained, encouraged and respected.
- Support companions in specified work and activity areas, as needed.
- To work cooperatively and collaboratively in a team environment;
- Initiative and self-motivation;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Planning skills, flexibility
- Dependability, reliability
- To advocate for and respects confidentiality at all times.
- To apply appropriate responses to unpredictable behaviour.
- To maintain all required program records and documentation.
- To advocate for and foster independence;
- A willingness to learn with and from people with disabilities
- Be open to continuous learning as required
Education and Skill Requirements:
- Must be successfully trained in and possess current certifications in CPR, NVCI, First Aid, and Medication Administration
- DSW College Diploma or an equivalent diploma or degree in social sciences. Minimum two-year college program; and/or Curative Education and Social Therapy diploma or equivalent Camphill seminar and experience.
- A demonstrated maturity and desire to work with adults with developmental disabilities within the Camphill Philosophy
- Excellent communication, listening and interpersonal skills
- A valid G driver’s license
Please submit your resume with cover letter quoting DSW-Contract by no later than 5pm on Friday, 21st of February, 2020.
Camphill Communities Ontario is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract
Salary: $17.81 /hour
- direct support care : 1 year (Preferred)