This position provides operational and technical support relevant to the Town of Drayton Valley’s geographic information system (GIS). The position is responsible for ongoing maintenance of the ESRI ArcGIS Enterprise/ArcGIS Online platform used within the organization and distribution of GIS data in printed and electronic formats. The GIS Analyst is responsible for maintaining spatial data and responding to departmental and public requests for information.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain and enhance the municipal mapping inventory and GIS-related data using ArcGIS Enterprise version 10.5 or later (ArcGIS Desktop, Server, Portal, Online and ArcGIS Pro).
- Provide technical support, information, training, and guidance for all field staff.
- Liaise with asset management team to integrate field collected information into the asset management software and follow processes.
- Analyze and edit spatial data to verify the integrity and accuracy of data based on plans, sketches, AutoCAD files and notes from field personnel.
- Provide support; generate reports and products from geographic databases as required to Town departments, Town Council and outside agencies.
- Prepare standard and custom maps following established cartographic principles; using appropriate symbology and classification methods.
- Develop and document procedures and standards for data collection and integration, as well as methods to reduce duplication and data entry errors in cooperation with all departments.
- Implement and manage ArcGIS field applications (Workforce, Survey 123 and Collector) for the automatization of data capture and asset maintenance.
- Develop database queries, application scripts and customized routines of varying complexity.
- Capture and update the geometry and attribute values of GIS data from source documents and external data repository websites (SPIN 2, AltaLIS, AbaData).
- Provide training, presentations, and technical support to internal GIS users on system capabilities, procedures and standards.
- Respond to service requests in a timely fashion.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Decision Making Role
Works under general direction and guidance of the GIS and Corporate Initiatives Manager. A moderate degree of independence of actions within the position is required.
This is a part time role with the potential of full time hours.
Major Inter-Personal Contacts
Contact with other employees and some outside clients involving verbal communications, discussions, meetings and presentations.
This is a non-supervisory role.
- Minimum a 2 year diploma in geomatics or geographic information systems technology from a recognized institution, or a suitable combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 1 year experience in related field, preferably in a Municipal setting.
- Thorough knowledge of cartographic concepts, design and layouts.
- Strong database management and analysis skills.
- Solid interpersonal and customer service skills with a positive and approachable attitude
- Excellent telephone etiquette and written/verbal communication skills.
- Highly organized with a strong ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent working knowledge of ArcGIS Enterprise.
- Computer competency in Windows applications – Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, network systems, and Acrobat PDF.
- A Clear Criminal Record Check and a valid class 5 Driver’s license are required.
Salary / Benefits
The Town of Drayton Valley offers competitive compensation and benefits commensurate with education and experience.
Job Type: Part-time