At Public Services Health & Safety Association, (PSHSA), we’re motivated to further elevate the profile of workplace health and safety and ensure it’s here to stay as a top priority for organizational leaders and all workplace parties. Critical to this is our ability to strengthen current communications channels and approaches and initiate new opportunities and solutions that enable us to listen to the market, create signature stakeholder experiences, generate value for our clients and advance positive health and safety outcomes.
We’re looking for a motivated communicator who combines strong writing and verbal communication skills while maintaining a laser focus on the audience. The Communications Advisor will assist in the development and optimization of internal and external communications, including supporting the development of engaging content to increase awareness of workplace health and safety across the public sector and support the acquisition of new projects and/or clients to advance PSHSA’s overall strategy, priorities and brand.
Reporting to the Manager, Marketing and Communications, the position work closely with internal teams and subject matters experts.
- Assist with the planning, development and implementation of communications plansand strategies to support corporate objectives and meet the specific information needsof our audiences (i.e., project, campaign or internal communications plans).
- Develop key messages and participate in the preparation and provision of written andverbal information and materials to clients, stakeholders, staff and media.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop content and communicationmaterials in support of organizational initiatives, including, but not limited to, newsreleases, editorial articles, advertising copy, web content, sales enablement materials,stakeholder correspondence, surveys, reports and proposals.
- Act as an internal editing service, reviewing content to align with best practices basedon the delivery channel.
- Develop and implement a media outreach strategy to support communications plans.
- Provide operational support to corporate communications and governance activities,including external and internal events, speeches, tradeshows, conferences andstakeholder/client meetings.
- Draft talking points, speaking notes, presentations and/or scripts, and coach andprepare executive and senior leaders on key messages.
- Engage in media monitoring and identify opportunities for positive media profile.
- Organize media interviews and coordinate participating team members for messageconsistency, inform media on background and conduct follow up.
- Develop and implement strategies related to the internal workflow of communications-related activities.
- Conduct research and consult with internal stakeholders and subject matter experts asrequired.
- Keep abreast of and maintain general knowledge of Ontario’s health and safety systemand the organization’s roles, objectives and policies, and other relevant topics.
- Review external communications and delivery channels regularly and identifyimprovement and optimization opportunities.
- University education in communications, public relations, journalism, English or equivalent
- A post-graduate program in communications, public relations or journalism would be considered an asset
- Up to 3 years of related experience
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to edit
- Understanding of the impact technology has on communication and knowledgeable of the various writing styles required for different channels
- Experience working independently within a virtual work environment
- Well-organized with excellent time management, the ability to prioritize work and multi-task
- Strong attention to detail
- Proactive, enthusiastic, self-starter
- Client-focused, with excellent customer service skills
- Strong command of the Microsoft Office suite
PSHSA is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Labour and works with Ontario’s Public and Broader Public Sector employers and workers, providing training, consulting and resources to reduce workplace risks and prevent occupational injuries and illnesses. PSHSA achieves inspiring results in occupational health and safety by identifying, reducing workplace hazards and risks to prevent workplace injuries, illness and disease for more than 1.7 million workers in over 10,000 organizations across Ontario.