Job Requisition Id: 25964
Business Function: Fleet Operations
Primary City: Mississauga, ON
Province: Ont. - GTA
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Status: Permanent
Language Requirement: English Essential
Number of Vacancies 1
Job Closing Date: (11/12/2019)
Under general supervision, performs systematic inspections, overhauls of component parts, performs preventive maintenance routines and other related duties on light or heavy vehicle to determine the cause of failure, analyses and recommends the course of repair required, verifies the adequacy of completed repair work and certifies vehicles as road worthy. Verifies work done by contractors and certifies that repairs that have been performed are safe, road worthy, reliable and within specifications recommended by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM), provincial legislation or Canada Post requirements.
Below are the main job requirements and responsibilities for the Vehicle Mechanic.
1. Performs maintenance and repairs on light or heavy vehicles (as per certification).
2. Conducts other maintenance facility activities such as: parts ordering, receiving, stocking and shipping; taking calls and noting actions required.
3. Inspects light or heavy vehicles within Canada Post fleet and completes the necessary documentation accordingly within Canada Post and Government frequency of inspections (Municipal, Provincial, and Federal).
4. Completes quality control inspections by examining and testing repaired vehicles (light or heavy) to ensure repairs have been satisfactorily completed, according to Provincial and Canada Post specifications and certifying road worthiness before releasing back to Operations.
5. Performs in shop or on road repairs on light or heavy vehicles as directed by the maintenance Supervisor/Mechanic Lead Hand within original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and/or Canada Post specifications.
6. Maintains hand tools and shop equipment to a safe and reliable standard.
Job Responsibilities (continued)
7. Escalates any problems by completing the appropriate reports.
8. Provides input and support as required to front line operations on operating requirements, vehicles and driver habits.
9. Adheres to all Health and Safety and Environment policies and procedures by keeping the work area clean and free of hazards in support of a safe and healthy work place.
10. Replaces or overhauls defective parts with new components using mechanic hand tools, power tools and related automotive shop equipment.
11. Moves light or heavy vehicles and performs other related duties as required.
Secondary school diploma or equivalent (as per provincial requirements).
Graduate of technical/apprenticeship program for Automotive Service Technician (light vehicles under 4,500kg) OR Truck and Coach Technician (heavy equipment / vehicles over 4,500kg) accrediting qualification in one of these classes of vehicles.
Must hold appropriate valid certification for the maintenance and repair of light OR heavy vehicles recognized in the province of employment.
Must be currently in the trade.
Demonstrated ability to work in a physically demanding environment.
Other Candidate Requirements
Valid provincial driver license, with driver abstract which meets current corporate requirements.
Appropriate license to operate heavy vehicles, if required in the province of employment.
1) Dual Ticketed applicants will also be considered for this position with 310S and 310T qualifications who are currently working in the heavy truck trade.
2) 3rd year apprentice applicants with schooling completed and are currently enrolled in a 310T apprenticeship will also be considered.
3) An eligibility list will be created for successful applicant interviews, for future employment opportunities posted for Vehicle Mechanic positions.
Safety Sensitive Positions
This position may be considered a Safety Sensitive position.
Canada Post is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.
Conflict of Interest
The Conflict of Interest Policy prohibits employees from hiring, supervising or reporting to, directly or indirectly via the reporting hierarchy, their immediate family or close personal relations. Should you feel that you may be in an actual or potential Conflict of Interest in regard to this job opportunity, you must communicate with the designated Human Resources representative.
If you are contacted by Canada Post regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as Canada Post cannot make assumptions about your education and experience. We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Canada Post’s corporate values reflect the principles, beliefs and aspirations that guide our behaviour and shape our culture.
Transformation – We will innovate and transform to win in the marketplace.
Customer – We serve Canadians with pride and passion.
Integrity – We act responsibly and with integrity.
Respect – We treat each other with fairness and respect.
Safety – We are committed to a safe and healthy environment for all our stakeholders.