The Director, Residential Lending – Western Canada is fully responsible for the oversight of the Western Canada Residential Lending Department and is expected to maintain a high level of efficiency in an environment focused on operational and service excellence as it pertains to Western Canada. The position plays a leading role in the compliance, risk and credit management of the Western Canada business by ensuring full adherence to CTC’s policies, procedures and regulatory requirements. This role is responsible for ensuring department goals are met which, in turn, successfully contributes to the overall corporate results.
- Responsible for effective management and oversight to achieve the Board-approved business targets, budgets and profitability objectives for the Business Unit.
- Provide the effective leadership, oversight, tools and support that the Managers need to be successful with the day-to-day operations of the department, maintaining an accurate pipeline, the timely completion of credit files while maintaining superior customer engagement to both borrowers and brokers.
- Together with the Managers, maintain effective compliance, risk management and risk controls in the origination of the residential mortgage business portfolio by exercising consistent, objective and sound credit decisions in accordance with risk appetites, policies and procedures.
- Liaise and collaborate with Risk and Compliance to ensure alignment and compliance in accordance with company’s policies and procedures.
- Support the business development strategies to increase CTC’s presence across the targeted broker channel audience in collaboration with the Business Development Managers and with the support of the Marketing and Brand Management team.
- Ensure credit approval decisions are in accordance with sound credit-granting principles and within designated lending limits.
- Provide support to mortgage banking initiatives by originating highly desirable mortgages for sale.
- Responsible for the ongoing maintenance of the Residential Mortgage Procedure Manual and System User Guide, ensuring the documents are kept up to date and remain compliant with regulatory and business-related requirements.
- Participates in the ongoing development of the residential lending risk grading scorecard and pricing matrix.
- Ensures through effective oversight the proper implementation of policies, procedures and controls pertaining to Residential Mortgage Lending, Anti-Money Laundering, Know Your Client, Privacy, Complaints Handling and Regulatory Compliance Management, as required by regulations.
- Through coaching and oversight, promotes a strong risk culture in the Business Unit by ensuring that the effective implementation of regulatory policies and procedures are embedded in the performance assessment of all staff.
- Provide effective complaint resolutions as per complaint handling process.
- Monitors competition, market conditions, industry and external environments for changing trends and activities that might impact the business and make necessary recommendations to senior management accordingly.
- Provides regular reporting to senior management on the status and quality of the business, properly identifying emerging trends or issues as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain key relationships with Brokers, Third Party Investors, Third Party Lenders, Technology Providers, Appraisers, Property Inspectors and related referral organizations.
- Supports all internal and regulatory audits that encompass residential lending and ensures that all compliance and operational gaps identified are addressed and remediated in a timely manner.
- Develop and implement strategies to maximize revenue growth and responsibly manage expenses.
- Continuously identify and execute best practice process improvements, eliminate redundancies and identify system and/or reporting needs.
- Set appropriate context and direction on the strategic vision and goals of Residential Lending, including the planned initiatives to meet and exceed the ongoing business plan objectives.
- Foster a resilient workplace and culture that is aligned with the company’s core values of trust, integrity, collaboration and responsiveness.
- Inspire and motivate direct reports to do their best; provide creative thought leadership while also listening, engaging others to participate and promoting innovation across the organization.
- Lead by example by performing at high levels across all core competencies (collaboration, agility, time management and quality of work).
- Effectively manage performance, including the establishment of clear goals and expectations, coach team members with candid and regular feedback.
- Effectively manage talent, including careful assessments and evaluations of team members, hold effective career conversations, determine optimal training and recruit and develop a talented and diverse team.
- Optimize teamwork by articulating how team members work collaboratively to fulfill department and corporate objectives and consistently make time for team building and development.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Minimum of 10 years progressive experience in alternative residential lending.
- Minimum 5 years management experience in the finance industry.
- Established reputation and well respected in the residential mortgage industry.
- University degree in business, economics or related field is preferred.
- Solid leadership skills, with a focus on mentoring and motivating an employee base of professionals.
- Well-defined sense of diplomacy, including negotiation, conflict resolution and people management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage key constituent relationships, including customers, business partners, government agencies, etc.
- Strong written and verbal business communication skills.
- Knowledge of personnel policies, practices, and procedures.
- Strong attention to detail and able to complete tasks with a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, problem solving and execution skills.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft applications (including Word, Excel and Power Point).
Community Trust Company welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Reference ID: Director, RL - Western Canada
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent