Windows Software Architect (DevOps)-19000WNC
Cloud Foundations Services (CFS) is a strategic component for providing critical cloud services to multiple Oracle Global Business Unit applications. Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI), Oracle’s second generation Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), provides improved performance and reliability. CFS provides a microservice-driven platform, software delivery tool chain, and a continuous integration/continuous delivery operations model to support high margin, highly elastic, and highly available Software as a Service (SaaS) applications.
The Windows Center of Excellence Team is working with industry experts across the Global Business Units (GBU) to support developing, deploying, and operating high revenue Software as a Service (SaaS) applications in Windows domains on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI). The team creates solutions for GBU Windows applications to consume existing common cloud services or develop new services as needed. All deployments will be automated through CI/CD pipelines. The team is a mixture of developers and Windows administrators, growing to be both in a DevOps environment. At times the team may also require some Linux administration and networking skills for hybrid solutions.
Roles & Responsibilities
The candidate will work with highly skilled, highly motivated engineers using agile methodologies based on Scrum or Kanban, and incorporating enterprise agile practices from Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). The team embraces a DevOps environment – the Developers are the Operators. The work environment is to treat everything as code (code, configuration, infrastructure, pipelines, everything) to achieve the highest quality product in the most efficient amount of time.
- Work with the Product Owner and DevOps team members to create a reference architecture for GBU application teams to develop and deploy into multi-tenant Windows environments deployed on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- Work with the Product Owner and senior management to develop roadmaps and future vision that meet business and technical needs
- Recommend new technologies and solutions to provide business value and return on investment
- Work with the Product Owner and senior management to create smooth platform transition plans for acquired companies with Windows applications
- Work with other Product Owners and Architects to provide guidance to meet compliance standards
- Collaborate with Application Architects across the GBUs to engineer required solutions
- Evangelize using Everything-As-Code methodologies to ensure traceability, configurability, immutability, repeatability, and governability
- In complex cases, provide troubleshooting guidance to Windows System Engineers to restore / correct services – role is NOT to be a primary on-call engineer
- Support DevOps engineers via mentoring, counseling, and code reviews
- Attend training as required to meet Oracle and CFS compliance and regulatory standards. Perform daily task in accordance of compliance and regulatory standards
- Potentially guest speak on cloud technologies and Windows best practices in collegiate environments
- Other duties as assigned
- Insatiable curiosity and passion to learn, evangelize, and deploy new technologies that deliver business value
- The candidate will have the ability to primarily work from home (if desired), but will require infrequent travel to the CFS office in Raleigh, NC area and occasionally to internal customer sites when gathering complex customer requirements (Travel < 15%)
- Significant hands on experience in the installation and administration of multiple releases of Windows Servers, preferred releases: 2012, 2016
- Expert knowledge of Active Directory environments, architecture, and deployment through automation
- Expert knowledge of automation languages and tools such as Power Shell, Python, Ansible, and Terraform
- Expert knowledge in TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, Firewalls, and similar networking technologies
- Expert knowledge in Windows patching solutions
- Good knowledge of SaaS application development particularly deploying software in Docker on Windows
- Good knowledge in security principles.
- Good understanding of storage solutions
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or similar discipline
Microsoft Certified Solution Engineer or similar
Hands on experience with containers in a Windows environement
Oracle GBUs provide services to many critical systems globally requiring 24x7 support. DevOps engineers will rotate with other team members in a designated, on-call status following in-country requirements. CFS’s primary support model is follow the sun, utilizing geographically diverse team members during normal working hours to provide support. CFS will strive to have subject matter experts distributed globally. With geographic diversity, countries and regions have a broader array of holidays requiring a flexible support schedule across multiple geographies. Additionally, coverage is required through the weekend.
To provide the required support to Oracle customers, CFS will use additional compensation to cover extended business hours and/or on-call pay based on in-country laws and Oracle policy. In general, there will be a Primary and Secondary engineer designated in advance to provide coverage for select services. If numerous services are supported in a specific geographic region, there may be more than one set of Primary/Secondary engineers selected. Software engineers and database administrators will engage in activities to restore services that are down or degraded. This may be as simple as running an existing script to restart a service or executing a standard operating procedure, or may require codes changes with review steps, integration, testing, and software deployments to restore a service to normal operation. In addition, engagement with other Oracle development and support teams may be needed.
Detailed Description and Job Requirements
Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will take an active role in the definition and evolution of standard practices and procedures. You will be responsible for defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, designing and debugging of software applications or operating systems.
Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 7 years of software engineering or related experience.