Lodge Your Paws is currently looking for a fun, outgoing, energetic, hard working individual who has a strong passion for caring for animals.
The Kennel / Animal Care Staff member will be responsible for the performance of duties to ensure quality care and treatment of all animals. He/She is responsible for all cleaning duties in the Dog Kennels, Play Yard, Kitchen Prep Area, Grooming Room, Office, Hallways, Driveways, Parking areas and other designated locations where animals are housed. Other responsibilities will include the feeding of all animals in these areas, and for monitoring the health and behavior of animals. Staff are responsible for supervising dogs in group play, answering phone calls, greeting clients and assisting clients with any concerns they may have, whether it is advice on their dog, or complaints.
- Customer Focus
- Energy & Stress
- Team Work
- Quality Orientation
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Ethics and Integrity
- Daily cleaning of all cages, water and food dishes and rooms
- Feeding and watering of all animals
- Weekly and monthly cleaning duties
- Pressure washing cages in between new occupants or as required / assigned
- Garbage removal
- Keeping all doorways clear of garbage, debris, carts, snow or ice buildup
- Responsible for grooming and socializing
- Take dogs outside for exercise, and to urinate/defecate
- Regular checking of all animals in your assigned area for health problems and reporting any health concerns to a manager or owner,
- Perform animal care duties, such as dispense medication, assisting Mobile Veterinary onsite visits, Canine CPR as required
- Check regularly of all water dishes throughout the day and replenishing water immediately prior to the end of each shift and ensure bedding is clean and dry
- Adhering to the guidelines provided in the employee handbook, health protocols, and behavior assessment program
- Responsible for the daily cleaning of all Kennel floors (Hallway, Kitchen, Laundry, etc.)
- Responsible for the cleanliness of all walls and doors in the Kennel areas
- Reporting any signage that is needed or needs to be replaced
- Responsible for checking supplies of food, litter, miscellaneous items and notifying the immediate supervisor or owner, when products are low, and need to be reordered
- Daily laundry duties and dishes
- Cleaning and disinfecting of dog / cat carriers, cages
- Reporting and recording all maintenance needs or repairs as required
- Transport of animals from the Kennels to the front office area, or to our outdoor exercise areas
- Ensure that all cats/dogs are back inside to their runs/cages with their doors to outside runs closed; all kennel wing exit doors are locked at shift-end
- Turning off all lights in the Kennel area, making sure all doors are closed and air conditioning or heat is on or off as directed as per time of year when closing for day
- Responsible for performing duties in a professional, proactive manner in order to achieve and maintain high quality care of all kenneled animals, and providing excellent customer service to the public
- Adhere to guidelines established in the Policy & Procedures, including the reporting of any abuse or other unacceptable treatment of animals or staff
- Participation in staff meetings to share ideas and suggestions to improve animal care services
- Must use discretion and good judgment at all times to ensure the good reputation of the organization
- Must be familiar with and supportive of the goals and mission of the organization
- Perform other duties as assigned by management personnel
- Answer phone calls, check voicemails/emails and return any required phone calls/emails within the same day, within an hour of the call, or beginning of your shift
- Meet and great clients, check in/out dogs as required in a friendly and professional manor.
- Possess a valid Driver's License
- Canine CPR Certified will be considered an asset
- Must be able to work with other staff, volunteers, and the public in a positive, practical manner and be able to work with minimum supervision
- Previous kennel or animal care experience will be considered an asset
- Must possess good verbal and written communication skills
- Must have a genuine interest in and concern for the overall well-being of animals and demonstrate empathy and compassion for animals
- Customer service experience preferred
- Some knowledge in recognizing different breeds of dogs, including basic care requirements preferred
- Ability to recognize signs/symptoms of disease and to handle dangerous and/or injured animals with a minimum of personal risk
- Physical abilities to perform the assigned duties
- Ability to prepare reports as required
- Must have strong interpersonal and organizational skills and demonstrate an ability and willingness to adhere to the standards of operational procedures, productivity and time management
- Must be able to work closely with other staff, volunteers and the public in a positive, practical manner
- Knowledge of computers and applications
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills
- High degree of resourcefulness, flexibility, and adaptability
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Politically and culturally sensitive
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts
- Position is physically demanding, including heavy lifting (50lbs), pushing and pulling which would require an individual with ability to maintain a level of fitness and endurance to fulfill the required duties.
- May be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including exposure to viruses and bacteria.
- Interacts with animals, animal owners, staff, and visitors.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Flexible Hours
- Intermittent physical activity including walking, standing, sitting, lifting and supporting animals.
If you think that you'd be a great fit for this position, please bring your resume to 1526 Plank Road, Sarnia.
Job Type: Part-time