The ECE Assistant, Early Childhood Educator & Infant & Toddler Educator reports to the Childcare Manager and will be part of a team that will plan and implement a culturally based child care program that is designed to give each child an opportunity to participate in experiences that will enable them to reach their full potential. The ECE will provide nurturing care and education to young children from infancy to preschool age in a group setting, supporting parents through on going communication about each child’s development. The ECE will work collaboratively with other child care staff, Elders, families and children.
- Responsible for the continuous supervision, safety and well-being of the children.
- Recognizes and responds to the needs of each child by using developmentally appropriate teaching and child behaviour management techniques.
- Shares in the responsibility for planning, preparing and implementing stimulating, culturally based, age-appropriate activities that encourage children’s creativity and learning and promote each child’s social, emotional, cognitive and physical development.
- Participates fully and consistently as a conscientious team member in caring for the children and in the overall operation of the program and centre; maintains regular and open communication with program team members and all other co-workers.
- Establishes and maintains regular communication with parents.
- Ensures the program operates at all times in compliance with all child care licensing standards.
- Must know and implement: Centre routines and practices; BC’s Child Day Care Regulation and Standards of Practice.
- Observes and records relevant information on each child's progress as required/as per Centre practices.
- Attends and participates actively in all program/centre, parental or other meetings as required.
- Shares responsibility for maintaining program equipment in good repair; assists with toy/equipment disinfecting.
- Shares responsibility for maintaining the play environments and storage areas in an organized and clutter-free condition.
- Participates in regular fire drills and other emergency procedures.
- Engages in positive collaboration with the other programs and early childhood educators of the centre in coordinating the effective use of equipment, facilities and personnel.
- Participates in ongoing professional development and attends/maintains all mandatory training.
- Participates in the supervision, training and mentoring of students and supply teachers.
- Assists the Child Care Manager in maintaining a safe and healthy work environment by promptly reporting any existing and/or potential workplace hazards.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Child Care Manager or her/his designate.
- REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Early Childhood Education/Development/Infant & Toddlet certificate or diploma, with a BC Five Year Early Childhood Educator Certificate
- Experience in the child care profession and/or an Aboriginal organization or community working with children and families.is considered an asset.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and initiative
- Creative problem solving skills
- Computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs
- Knowledge of Nuu-chah-nulth history and culture is an asset
- Awareness of social issues affecting First Nations and non-First Nations children considered an asset
- Knowledge of recreational, social and life skills, and parenting programming and activities relevant to First Nations
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $15.00 to $22.00 /hour
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Casual, Permanent
Salary: $15.00 to $22.00 /hour
- teaching: 1 year (Preferred)