Financial Clerk (Rate of Pay $18.72/hr)
Full-Time Temporary (Maternity Leave) – Non-Unionized Position
This position is open to male, female, and alternative gender applicants
To apply for the Financial Clerk Position, please submit a cover letter and resume that demonstrates you have the skills, qualifications, experience, positive work ethic, and commitment to succeed in this role. Applications must be submitted by 4:00pm on August 4th, 2020 by e-mail
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, as Financial Clerk, the position is responsible for the provision of administrative support, including accounts payable and receivable, roll maintenance and related duties.
This position is responsible for assisting the Chief Administrative Officer with responsibility related to accounts payable and receivable, roll maintenance, and clerical duties such as cashier and typing duties, maintaining the filing system, handling mail, answering and directing phone calls, and meeting and greeting visitors and clients, and serving as Acting Town Clerk in the absence of the Town Clerk.
1. Performs duties relating to the maintenance of the assessment roll by following established practices, procedures and specific instructions. Prepares and submits an assessment request listing to Municipal Assessment Agency on a monthly basis, for new residential and commercial construction as well as for upgrade, extension or subdivision of properties. Compiles a monthly house sale list for MAA to track ownership and address changes, as well as selling price. Maintains regular contact with the Agency regarding property values and ownership issues. Liaises with law offices and other parties regarding tax positions, issues tax certificates and compliance letters, verifies ownership and address information.
2. Provides cashier services by accepting payments at the counter, electronically or via mail, in accordance with the various payment methods used by the Town and issuing accurate receipts for these payments. Contributes toward safekeeping of Town funds by maintaining continuity of receipts, making correct change, counting cash, balancing and accounting for all monies received. Prepares daily bank deposits using the prescribed format and verifies totals processed through the general ledger receipt/deposit clearing account. Maintains and safeguards cash floats and petty cash. Transports deposit to financial institution if required.
3. Provides accounts receivable services by participating in generating and posting the annual tax levy and the mailing of invoices. Maintains residential, commercial and other accounts receivable records including permit fees and summer programs billings and payments. Prepares various interim bills for taxes and fees including supplementary assessment charges. Updates mortgage holders’ interests in customer properties per bank advisories and provide billing information to mortgagors. Calculates and applies discounts in keeping with established policies. Creates new customer accounts and maintains existing account information. Investigates and redirects mail returned to Administration and updates address records as required.
4. Processes accounts payable invoices; tracks employee time (sick/vacation/etc.); handles/solves resident concerns and reports such concerns when necessary to the CAO including those that may lead to disciplinary action of municipal workers; accepts and receipts tax payments; issues and logs permits obtained at the office; completes and updates work order log; performs bank reconciliation; completes payroll; submits remittance and other documents as required to the Canada Revenue Agency; obtains quotes for municipal work; ensures website maintenance is completed; assists with preparation of annual budget, with preparation of audit files and work with auditor, and with election preparation and process.
5. Under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer, assists in budget preparation as required by compiling data in a prescribed format.
6. Liaises with various external stakeholders providing both verbal and written information, to financial institutions, law offices, government departments and agencies, developers, appraisers and residents. Provides access to information considering public versus privacy concerns.
7. Provides receptionist/switchboard duties as required from time to time.
8. Performs related clerical functions, including answering phones, filing, maintaining and operating office equipment, completing monthly fuel reports, greeting/servicing customers, etc.
9. Contributes to the efficiency of administrative activities by assisting with special projects such as documenting policies and procedures, forms development and other related duties for which the incumbent is deemed competent.
10. Maintains filing system that is easily accessed by the Chief Administrative Officer and other members of the Management Team, including files of a confidential and sensitive nature.
11. Opens, examines and distributes all incoming mail for Council and the Chief Administrative Officer, as well as, maintains incoming mail log on a daily basis.
12. Supports the general management, operations, and monitoring of the Town as requested and serves as executive assistant to the CAO.
13. Assumes the role of Acting Town Clerk in the absence of the Town Clerk and performs the related Town Clerk management functions on behalf of the CAO/Council.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
· Knowledge of various software applications such as Town Suite and Microsoft office suite.
· Knowledge of department and Council policies.
· Skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with town staff, Council and the public.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Commerce or Business Administration with a focus in accounting or other diploma / certificate in business administration from a post-secondary institution. Financial experience considered an asset. Certificates related to finance or payroll considered an asset. Certificates related to municipal government, public service, or public administration considered an asset.
This full-time position is a temporary maternity leave position expected to last for 12 to 18 months. Normal hours will be 35 hours per week 8:30am to 4:00pm Monday to Friday. Occasional hours may be required for after-hours meetings or based on operational requirements.
This position is subject to additional employment benefits as defined in an employment contract.
TESTING AND INTERVIEW
Candidates chosen for an interview will be required to take a written skills test.
NOTICE OF CANCELLATION
The Town of Pouch Cove reserves the right to cancel this posting at anytime without further notice.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.72 per hour