Nuvia is an international nuclear engineering, project management and services contractor. We operate across the complete nuclear facility lifecycle from new build, through operations and maintenance, to final decommissioning and waste management. Nuvia is the nuclear arm of VINCI, a global player in concessions and construction, employing more than 183,000 people in some 100 countries.
Nuvia has been contracted to provide radiation protection services to Bruce Power’s Major Component Replacement project. As part of its scope, Nuvia will train, supply, and manage a large team of Radiation Protection Technicians. RPTs provide radiation protection assistance for workers, monitor radiation levels in work areas, and provide direct technical support to work teams.
To support the needs of the project Nuvia recently opened a Radiological Protection Training Centre and Project Office in Tiverton, Ontario. Nuvia is currently recruiting for an Employee Relations Liaison to be based in our Tiverton, Ontario office. The Employee Relations Liaison Officer will support the development and implementation of a labour relations strategy and leads various labour relations functions including securing union labour, collective agreement interpretation, grievance administration, employee relations, investigations and response.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Coordinate with Union representative to source qualified workers from the halls
- Liaise with Union representative and Project Manager to ensure that potential candidates are screened, interviewed, shortlisted, and that the best candidates are selected for the position
- Provide subject matter expertise on the interpretation and administration of collective agreements
- Ensure consistent application of collective agreements and HR policy throughout the organization
- Mediate discussions between employer and employee representatives to reconcile differences
- Represent the organization at grievance and arbitration hearings, working on behalf of the organization with legal counsel and other relevant stakeholders
- Offer interpretation and guidance to ensure compliance with contract provisions, wage laws, and standard regulations
- Meet with employees and company representatives to measure their needs
- Work with Nuvia leadership team in preparing for collective bargaining, in post-bargaining rollout and training initiatives
- Review and approve employee disciplinary actions, such as written reprimands, suspensions, or terminations
- Review employer practices or employee data to ensure compliance with contracts on matters such as wages, hours, or conditions of employment
- Provide strategic guidance to management to ensure that policies and practices are in line with applicable legislation (e.g. Employment Standards Act, Health and Safety Act, Human Rights Code, AODA etc.) and collective agreements
- Support the development of labour relation skills of managers through active training in labour relations matters including discipline, attendance, conflict resolution, grievance handling, and investigations
- Provide support in the handling of medical accommodation cases
- Lead workplace investigations as delegated
- Research case law or outcomes of previous case hearings
- Develop methods to monitor employee satisfaction with policies or working conditions, including grievance or complaint procedures
- Represent the organization and give direction to outside stakeholders as required on labour/employee matters
- Interact with legal services, Ministry of Labour, government agencies and other relevant stakeholders
- Post-secondary degree in labour relations, law or related discipline
- Knowledge of labour/management principles, the Canada Labour Code, provincial employment law, Human Rights, statutes and the Labour Relations Board process(es) and collective agreement administration
- A minimum of 5 years of broad and progressively more senior labour relations experience including participation in collective bargaining (as a member of the bargaining or bargaining support team) and contract administration and interpretation
- Familiarity with provincial labour regulations, administration of collective agreements, provincial worker compensation legislation and practice, and various labour organizations
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing and verbal/written communication skills
- Strong negotiation, mediation, workplace investigation and conflict resolution skills
- Relationship management skills, including the ability to quickly earn the trust of internal and external clients
- Experience with Ontario Building Trades Unions
- Experience working within a Building Trade environment
Benefits and Perks:
- Competitive Compensation Package
- Health Benefits
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
Nuvia Canada is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Job Type: Full-time
- Labour Relations: 5 years (Preferred)