Mt Seymour Outdoor Education, Snowshoe Guide Job Posting.
Snowshoe Guides will lead groups of 2 to 22 people through winter mountain terrain delivering interpretive and experiential snowshoe programs 2 to 3 hours in length. Safety of guests and the delivery of quality programs are of the utmost importance. If you love environmental education and sharing your passion for the outdoors, this is a great part-time position for the winter!
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Lead high quality interpretive snowshoe tours, which include programs that cover plant and animal adaptations to winter, winter safety and survival skills, nature games, fitness, etc.
- Ensure group safety at all times
- Completing daily paperwork as required
- Role modeling preparedness, wilderness etiquette, respect for environment and healthy lifestyle
- Pre-group preparation and post-program clean up
- Possibility of Snowshoe Rental cashiering duties
- Sharing your passion for nature and the outdoors!
Requirements and Experience:
- Education and/or background in a related field (Outdoor Recreation, Environmental Sciences, Education) or an equivalent combination of experience
- Proven guest service skills: charismatic, well-spoken, clear communicator, strong command of the English language (written and spoken), responsible, reliable and mature
- Experience as a group leader, preferably as a guide / interpreter / instructor in an outdoor setting
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak clearly and confidently in public
- Solid knowledge of local Natural History and/or desire to learn
- Experience working with children, preferably in a nature or wilderness setting
- Wilderness travel experience, skills, knowledge and awareness
- Proven safety awareness and problem-solving skills
- Valid First Aid certificate (Standard First Aid)
- All guiding positions are part-time shiftwork and are based on bookings
- Shifts are minimum of 3 hours, with potential for split shifts and full days provided whenever possible
- Minimum availability requirement is 2 days of availability to work each week from late November 2019 to the end of March 2020
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings
- Staff training is mandatory
- May be on your feet for extended periods of time and in a variety of weather conditions
- Must be willing to travel up and down a mountain road in winter conditions (staff shuttle bus is free)
- Start pay is $14 - $15 depending on experience
- Shuttle Bus available for transportation up to the Ski Area from Parkgate Community Centre & Rupert Skytrain Station.
- Season’s Ski/Ride Pass complimentary with employment
- Complimentary Snowshoeing and Rentals
- Guiding fun, nature based programs in the snow, on a mountain!
Apply with a cover letter and resume to:
Rory Moorhead | Outdoor Education Manager |
Job Type: Part-time