St. Thomas is a community growing in size and strength and is home to about 40,000 people. In St. Thomas, you get 25% more life: more house for your money, more sports and arts for your children, and more recreation for you and your family. Our costs of living are lower, meaning your quality of life is higher, allowing you to embrace all of the opportunities that the city presents. Conveniently located close to Port Stanley, London, and Highway 401, it's the perfect location in Southwestern Ontario. With a rich heritage but a modern atmosphere, there is nowhere better to thrive than St. Thomas. We look forward to welcoming you and showing you why we are #stthomasproud.
The Corporation of the City of St. Thomas -
Parks, Recreation and Property Management Department is accepting applications for the following position:
LIVE-IN BUILDING ATTENDANT
(Building Location TBD - Depends on Vacancy)
Job Posting #220-02-20
Under the general direction of the Supervisor of Property Management, the ‘live-in” Building Attendant plays a key role in protecting and maintaining the Employer’s buildings and ensuring the safety and comfort of its tenants. For many tenants, the live-In Building Attendant is the Employer’s most visible representative. This position reports maintenance problems, monitors the fire alarm system, assists residents at move-ins and maintains general security in a controlled entry building.
1. Be the first point of contact for tenants to address maintenance issues.
2. Provides communication notices and awareness to tenants on behalf of Property Management regarding tenant and/or property disruptions, issues or concerns.
3. Will endeavor to facilitate open communication between tenants and the Housing Program Coordinators as required.
4. Strives towards providing a high level of customer service to tenants.
1. Records incidents/occurrences/inspections in Building Attendants “Service/Incident Log Book.”
2. Reports any known incidents/occurrences or maintenance problems to the office; completing formal “Incident Reports” if incident is related to injuries sustained by tenants (e.g. slips and falls on ice), contractors or others as a result of on-site work, etc.
3. Records in Log Book, snow removal and landscaping contractors’ days on site and performance of same, e.g. good, did not arrive until late in date, did not salt as required, did not trim as required, etc.
4. Be present and support other Property Management staff with tenant evictions.
5. Shows vacant units to potential tenants, as directed by office.
6. In the event that a smoke alarm is activated in a unit and the tenant(s) is/are not home, investigate if safe to do so.
7. Delivers notices issued by the City of St. Thomas to residents.
8. Assists contractors/service personnel with access to units (with City of St. Thomas or tenant authorization).
9. Removes litter/garbage from common area/property areas on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, or as directed by supervisor.
10. Maintains general security, ensuring exit/entrance, utility room and laundry room doors are properly secured.
11. In the event of a power failure causing a blackout, provide fire walks every 30 min.
12. In the event of a fire, conduct a roll-call and contact the fire department and Property Management staff as per the emergency response contact list.
13. Performs daily, weekly and monthly fire alarm and emergency lighting checks, as required.
14. Provides daily janitorial service, as required.
15. Provides landscape and site maintenance, as required.
16. Performs such other related duties as assigned.
17. This position must take responsibility for personal health and safety insofar as he or she is able under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its Regulations. A worker must:
Work in compliance with the provisions of the Act, the regulations and City policies.
Must use or wear the equipment, protective devices or clothing that the City requires to be used or worn.
Report to his or her supervisor the absence of or defect in any equipment or protective device of which the worker is aware and which may endanger himself, herself or another worker.
Report to his or her supervisor any contravention of the Act, the regulations or the existence of any hazard of which he or she knows.
This position shall not:
Remove or make ineffective any protective device required by regulations or by the City, without providing an adequate temporary protective device and when the need for removing or making ineffective the protective device has ceased, the protective device shall be replaced immediately.
Use or operate any equipment, machine, device or thing or work in a manner that may endanger himself, herself or any other worker.
Engage in any prank, contest, feat of strength, unnecessary running or rough and boisterous conduct.
Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Must have physical capability to carry out duties of the position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Must obtain and provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector criminal record search.
Go to www.stthomas.ca – Employment, Employment Opportunities.
Go to Posting Title – Live-In Building Attendant
** You can ONLY upload one document.
Please upload your cover letter and resume as one document (i.e. pdf, word).
Note: You will be required to answer Qualification questions during the application process.
Applications for this position will be considered active for six months from the date the application was received.
Although we appreciate all applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information for this position is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, R.S.O. 2001, as amended.
Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
All prospective employees, volunteers and students will be required to provide an acceptable “Criminal Record Search” as a condition of employment and prior to commencing employment. The City of St. Thomas is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. If you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, you must provide your accommodation needs in advance. Questions may be directed to the Human Resources Department at 519-631-1680 ext. 4146.