HomeEquity Bank is the leading national provider of reverse mortgages to homeowners aged 55 and over, Canada’s fastest growing demographic segment. HomeEquity Bank originates and administers Canada’s largest portfolio of reverse mortgages under the CHIP Home Income Plan™ brand. New mortgages are originated on a direct to consumer basis as well as through referral arrangements with the six largest banks, leading mortgage brokers and financial planning firms. HomeEquity Bank has been the main underwriter of reverse mortgages in Canada since its predecessor; Canadian Home Income Plan Corporation pioneered the concept in 1986. HomeEquity Bank has a highly effective direct-to-consumer distribution model (B2C), as well as an established referral network (B2B), including Canada’s major banks, credit unions, financial planners and mortgage brokers.
HomeEquity Bank is exceptionally well positioned for further growth for a number of very important reasons: 1) positive demographic trends in the 55 years old and over segment, 2) wider awareness and growing demand of reverse mortgages in the market, 3) significant barriers to entry for competitors, and 4) HomeEquity Bank’s firm position as market leader.
Reporting to the Director, Compliance & Complaints, the Compliance and Oversight Functions Analyst will provide support in the implementation of HomeEquity Bank’s Regulatory Compliance Management (“RCM”) Program. The Compliance and Oversight Functions Analyst will assist in risk and control assessments and in the performance of control testing.
This position requires a detailed-oriented person with excellent administrative, organizational, proofreading, verbal and communication skills. This person must have the ability to independently prioritize and multi-task with minimal supervision. They must display a high degree of professionalism and work cohesively in a team environment to contribute to the success of a very strong organization.
The successful candidate will have the unique opportunity to enhance their knowledge of regulations that govern the banking industry and develop their regulatory compliance risk management skills through exposure to various areas of the business.
MAJOR ELEMENTS OF THE ROLE
- Support the execution of the Bank’s Regulatory Compliance Management and Enterprise Risk Management Programs
- Review the applicability of regulatory requirements and ensure the completeness of the Bank’s regulatory requirement database
- Conduct risk assessments, create test templates, perform control effectiveness testing and prepare reports on the results of control testing
- Work with business unit control owners to develop appropriate action plans to address identified issues
- Track, monitor and validate remediation of issues identified through the Bank's control testing programs
- Research regulations by reviewing regulatory bulletins, industry compliance trends, regulatory updates and other sources of information and assess their impact to the Bank
- Assist in the promotion of regulatory compliance risk awareness within the bank and identify regulatory compliance training opportunities and help coordinate the development of training programs.
- Provide support by researching and responding to regulatory questions relating to the Bank’s new Regulatory Compliance Management Program
- Responsible for monitoring the timely submissions of required regulatory filings and reporting
- Assist in the review of new projects, initiatives and procedures to ensure continued compliance with regulatory requirements
- Assist in the investigation and monitoring of complaints
- Assist in the drafting of Management and Board reports
- Contribute to Compliance and Risk Management Department projects and initiatives, as needed
- When required, provide general support to the Risk Management Department through control testing, log maintenance, new initiative risk assessments, and incident investigations
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Post secondary education with 3 to 5 years of experience in Compliance, Risk Management and/or Internal Audit in the financial industry, preferably in mortgage lending
- Prior experience in control testing and reporting
- Exposure to Bank Act, OSFI and FCAC Guidelines
- Proficient with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Well-developed analytical, problem solving, research and control testing skills;
Effective organizational and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple and changing priorities with minimal supervision.
- Must be pro-active, self-motivated and a self-starter;
- A positive attitude, a desire to learn, and a willingness to persevere to get work done, either independently or as part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience in preparing and presenting reports to various levels of management
Individuals must comply with the Bank’s AML, Fraud and Privacy Policies and procedures and be vigilant in the detection and prevention of money laundering, terrorist financing, fraud and the safeguard of all client information.
HomeEquity Bank complies with the Employment Equity Act. Our Employment Equity program is intended to help ensure that all Canadians have the same access to the labour market and to ensure the full representation of members of the four designated groups which include: women, visible minorities, Aboriginal People and Persons with Disabilities.
If you would like more information on the HomeEquity Bank please visit: www.homeequitybank.ca. If you'd like to find out more about the CHIP Home Income Plan solution, please visit www.chip.ca.
We regret to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.