Library Space is Community Place! LPL strengthens people and neighbourhoods by creating connections that enrich lives, inspire discovery, foster creativity, and expand possibilities.
With over 1 million titles in our collection and 350 public terminals, the London Public Library provides a variety of important services and programs to over 2.9 million people annually.
Come join the Library team as our new Permanent Full Time:
Contributes to the accomplishment of Library goals and objectives for the provision of library service to the public. Enables staff to carry out the mission of London Public Library in providing public library services through well functioning, energy efficient and safe buildings, property and equipment. Reporting to the Supervisor, Facility Services, performs maintenance and repair work, sets up rooms, performs grounds keeping and cleaning functions.
- Under the direction of the Supervisor, Facility Services, ensures maximum utilization and security of all facilities, property and related equipment, system-wide.
- Performs maintenance work and minor repairs on building, plumbing and electrical systems, equipment and furniture, such as painting walls, replacing filters, etc.
- Supports the implementation of the energy management program by performing related tasks as directed.
- Assesses emergencies, attempts to resolve problems; refers complex problems to the Supervisor, Facility Services.
- Sets up / takes down rooms with tables, chairs, equipment, etc. for meetings and events.
- Supports the work of the shipping / receiving function by packing materials for outgoing shipment of materials, unpacking incoming materials and arranging for distribution.
- Performs grounds keeping functions such as snow shoveling, lawn and hedge trimming, etc. system-wide
- Cleans buildings, including refuse / recycling collection, replenishing supplies as needed.
Facilities Department Support
- Performs work of Delivery Driver, as required.
- Drives Library vehicles as required.
- Maintains good relations and effective communication with staff and the public.
- Works at multiple locations on a system-wide basis.
- Works scheduled standby hours, including days, nights, holidays and weekends to resolve technical problems.
- Responds to emergency calls as required, during and outside regular hours.
- Performs work in compliance with all applicable legislation, codes and Library policies and procedures.
- Performs related duties and undertakes special projects as assigned.
- Completion of Grade 12 secondary school program, with specialization in courses providing relevant technical skills for the maintenance and repair of facilities and related systems and equipment.
- Previous experience in building maintenance.
- The ability to balance priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to listen and find solutions to customer needs.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to build beneficial relationships with key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in an automated environment.
- Current and valid Ontario G Driver’s License.
Candidates are requested to submit a detailed resume outlining experience and qualifications by November 25, 2019. Please visit our website at: http://www.londonpubliclibrary.ca/
No phone calls please.
The London Public Library will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes upon request consistent with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the AODA regulations.
Applicants for employment, who have been provided with a conditional offer of employment will be asked to provide, at his or her own expense, a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check and/or Police Information Check, as applicable.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those invited for an interview will be acknowledged. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent