The front-line ambassador of the Chamber’s business and signature events, the Events Specialist provides extensive support to the organization through the administration, coordination, and production of its yearly slate of events.
This key role in the Marketing department is responsible for the logistics planning and consistent high-quality delivery of all Chamber events. From small workshops and networking events to business breakfast and luncheons and full-scale forums and conferences, the Events Specialist is an expert at handling multiple projects at various stages of execution while maintaining excellent member service levels for events. They are also tasked with keeping the ROI for events in-line with organizational goals.
In addition, the Events Specialist is also well-versed in managing multiple in-house event systems and technologies, having excellent working relationships with various outside providers, and shows a keen interest in furthering their event education and contributions to the Calgary events community as a whole.
- Maintain event calendar and event files
- Conduct venue and vendor research and maintain the databases of information
- Manage and understand all event software platforms.
- Prepare, monitor and distribute event budgets to relevant internal teams
- Assist the marketing team with upload of approved event information onto main website and registration site(s). Ensure key event information is consistent across all platforms and communications.
- Respond to enquiries from the public about events as required.
- Manage event registration process, including registration set-up and maintenance of online registration accounts
- Assist members with registration, take payments and complimentary sign ups.
- Prepare and maintain all event documentation, such as contracts, critical paths, production schedules, and event plans
- Coordinate internal and external meetings
- Ensure all onsite event materials are prepared in advance – including nametags, signage, seating arrangements and floor plans
- Coordinate onsite volunteer management
- Assist with onsite execution of events including room set-up, outlay of materials, registration processing, and take down
- Reconciling and coding invoices for event charges and update event budgets with actuals
- Assist in developing new events, and maintaining, organizing and managing existing events from concept to completion, ensuring they operate smoothly, efficiently, and generate maximum revenue and exposure.
- Pro-actively liaise with team managers, marketing and sponsorship on the preparation of marketing materials and sponsorship deliverables for events.
- Coordinate speakers – manage communications, gather all documentation (photos, bios, presentation summaries, speaker gifts etc.)
- Source and oversee all event volunteers. Including running orientation.
- Manage registration desk at the event, including name tags, attendee and table lists, volunteers, assisting VIP attendees and actively soliciting information from guests when required and providing excellent Customer Service
- Coordinate with sponsorship before events to provide agendas, seating assistance, head table dossiers, and other information as required.
- Design menus and coordinate food and beverage services in conjunction with venue event teams
- Arrange and manage audio visual services including negotiating pricing, reviewing orders, communicating with onsite AV staff, and ensuring quality execution of requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to review and mark-up service and vendor contracts
- Contribute to the creation of effective event management processes, including RFPs, yearly strategy, site planning, value assessment, ROI, and feedback analytics.
- Assist with the ongoing coordination of event series such as Networking, Business After Hours, Taste of the Chamber
- Assist with the topic development, speaker outreach and management for The 403 event series
- Manage the tradeshow of Small Business Calgary Expo; exhibitor management, sponsor deliverables, registration, day of on-site management, and be the main liaison with venue and show services partner.
- Oversee the execution of the yearly Leaders Classic golf tournament including managing player engagement, sponsorship activations on site, silent auction, prizing, and giveaways.
- Work closely with the Event Manager to ensure consistent delivery of all event production needs for CEO & Political events and any other ad hoc events that may be added to the event schedule throughout the year.
Qualifications and Requirements
- 2-3 years’ experience in a same or similar role
- Post secondary education in events management, marketing, or business administration required or equivalent professional experience
- Experience coordinating both large and small-scale events seamlessly
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet firm deadlines
- Exceptional customer service and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to work with a high degree of professionalism, confidentiality, discretion, and effective decision making in an always changing environment.
- Experience working in a non-profit organization considered an asset
- Availability to work a flexible schedule as required to meet the needs of events taking place outside of normal business hours. This may include early mornings, evenings and weekends.
Job Type: Full-time
- events: 2 years (Required)
- Secondary School (Preferred)