1 Position Available
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for the right individual to fill a combined part-time Community Support Worker, part-time Mental Health Support Staff role in Bissell’s Community Centre. The Community Centre is a safe space for adults to access essential supports and services, build relationships, create community and participate in a wide range of recreation, arts, culture, life skills, and education programs. This position practices from a person-centered and harm reduction approach, employing anti-oppressive practices and community development theory to empower individuals to move from poverty to cultural, social and economic prosperity.
At present, Bissell Centre is undergoing significant renovations to its existing Drop-In space in order to implement a new service delivery model based on the principals of empowerment and the commitment to offer a space that emphasizes programming that support participants’ and their strengths. This is an exciting opportunity to be an important part of a team, implementing a progressive new vision.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
Community Support Worker (0.5 FTE position)
- Employ Restorative Practices to create an inclusive and welcoming environment.
- Support participants to meet their own immediate needs and resolve challenges in a sustainable manner.
- Engage participants in intentional and purposeful conversations, this may include providing individual support or advocacy to participants.
- Develop opportunities and support an environment where participants can build support networks to be sustainably interdependent in their community.
- Use de-escalation skills and provide crisis intervention as required.
- Help build a culture that supports and develops participants’ and the community’s strengths.
- Program coordination and facilitation of programs such as support groups or talking circles.
- Orientation, ongoing training, supervision and support of volunteers.
- Ensure participants’ voices are heard in decisions that affect them.
- Encourage and support participants to achieve their goals through accessing internal and external resources and services.
- Assess, refer, and support participants through systems navigation.
- Identify gaps and barriers in service delivery.
- Assist participants to access Bissell Centre basic need services available in the Community Centre, such as coffee, laundry, showers, lunches, haircuts and the Community Closet.
Mental Health Support Worker (0.5 FTE position)
- Support individuals experiencing mental health concerns and who live in or identify with Edmonton’s inner city.
- Serve as a bridge between program participants who are currently housed and community services which will support them in order to maintain housing and develop increased independence in the community.
- Build rapport and trust while focusing on the participants’ quality of life, from there assist in the creation of short term individualized case plan with participant identifying service goals that relate to the stability of their mental health.
- Refer program participants to appropriate counseling/support professionals to address mental health concerns and/or addiction(s) service(s).
- Support and consult with medical, psychiatric, and psychological professionals to ensure maintenance of medication regimes and clarification of issues that arise.
- Empower participants’ ability to maintain and manage life with mental illness.
- Develop and maintain appropriate mechanisms for assessment, service plan development and service delivery.
General & Administrative:
- Ensuring daily maintenance of Community Centre Specific logbooks, records and stats sheets.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date case notes using prescribed Bissell Centre procedures using the database, updating program information, and critical incident reports within established time standards.
- Provide latest program information, update statistics and good news stories on time and as required.
- Submit all program receipts and mileage claims in a timely manner.
- Participate in probation and annual performance reviews.
- Attend regular meetings and trainings, as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Diploma or Degree in Social Work, Human Services, Community Support Work or combination of other relevant education and experience.
- Relevant experience working with adults with mental health concerns and concurrent issues is required.
- Familiarity working with high risk populations and an understanding of Indigenous cultures, history and current issues.
- Employees with Social Work Diploma/Degree/Masters are required to provide and maintain ongoing registration, in good standing, with Alberta College of Social Workers (ACSW) as per Alberta Health Professions Act .
- Minimum 2 years relevant employment experience.
- Case management experience is an asset.
- Group work/facilitation experience is an asset.
- Proficiency of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook required.
- Criminal Record and Child Welfare checks.
- Alberta Class 5 License, satisfactory driver’s abstract and a personal vehicle with required insurance for transporting program participants
- Standard First Aid and CPR
- De-escalation Training
- Suicide Intervention
- Motivational Interviewing Skills
The above-noted training must be completed during the first six months of employment or as agreed upon with department supervisor.
Bissell Centre offers above average industry benefits including employer subsidized medical and dental benefits, life insurance, disability, flexible health spending account, outstanding vacation and more! This is a full-time position, working 40 hours per week. Some early morning, evening, weekend, and statutory holiday work will be required.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter to:
Integrated Case Management Team Lead
10527 - 96 Street
Edmonton, AB T5H 2H6
Phone: 780-423-2285 ext. 125
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent