BOOK WHISPERER WANTED
FREELANCE EDITOR & GHOSTWRITER, NONFICTION BOOKS
Grammar Factory Publishing
Do you have a strong opinion on the Oxford comma? Can you not help but critique the structure of every book you read? Do you frequently annoy even yourself by your nitpicky attention to grammatical detail?
At Grammar Factory, we help small business owners write and publish books that help grow their business and establish them as trusted thought leaders in their field. Our clients are forward-thinking experts with fresh ideas to share, but they’re not professional writers. And that’s just fine, because that’s where you shine.
Over the past eight years, we’ve worked with more than 200 entrepreneurs across four continents, ensuring the editorial and design excellence needed to publish nonfiction books that deliver business results.
People who join our editorial team love autonomy and flexibility. And they’re passionate about using their exceptional writing and editing skills to help entrepreneurs communicate their message effectively and make an impact through their business.
We work 100% remotely. So, if you have a computer, Microsoft Word, and a reliable high-speed internet connection, then you’ve got the infrastructure you need to join the team and work from anywhere in the world.
In your role, you’ll report to Grammar Factory’s Executive Publisher, while interacting with other project team members in our publishing, design, and editorial teams.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be the primary editorial contact for authors, helping to re-shape their book from a rough first draft into a well-structured, well-written, engaging manuscript that is publish-ready.
On nearly every project, you will be required to:
· Consult with clients to find out their goals and priorities.
· Edit nonfiction books for structure, content, and language.
· Explain the reasoning behind editorial changes.
· Make detailed suggestions for new content.
· Create or provide input into related copy, such as back cover blurbs, book website copy, social media content, and so forth.
For certain projects, your responsibilities may involve ghostwriting client books, which will require you to:
· Consult with clients to find out their goals, priorities, and ideas for their book.
· Propose an appropriate structure for the client’s book, and obtain their approval.
· Create content to fill out the book, which may include utilising existing materials, conducting interviews and undertaking desktop research.
· Write a complete, publish-ready manuscript that meets the author’s objectives.
Remember, most of our clients aren’t writers – they’re entrepreneurs who happen to be writing a book. This means they need a lot of guidance and hand-holding when it comes to the editing process – more so than the typical ‘writer’ author.
What will make you great in this role
To be successful in this role, you will be an enthusiastic team member who demonstrates:
1. Editorial excellence and love for your craft.
2. Accountability for meeting deadlines and communicating problems early.
3. Honesty in providing feedback to clients – they depend on us to tell it straight.
4. Sensitivity when giving feedback, so that clients have a positive experience.
We’re looking for someone with...
· Cred. Degree qualifications in a writing/editing-related discipline, such as writing, journalism, or communications.
· Expertise. Exceptional command of written and spoken English, grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
· Long-form nous. Experience with structural editing, copyediting, and proofreading of long-form, nonfiction content.
· OCD. Exceptional attention to detail.
· Good Communication. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Accountability. Ability to self-manage, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
· Openness. Willingness to learn new skills and approaches.
· Logic. Ability to organise large amounts of information and translate complex topics into plain English.
· Your own ‘kit’. A computer, internet access, and advanced skills with Microsoft Word.
So if you think you’ve got what it takes to be a ‘Book Whisperer’, send us your resume and a cover letter to remember.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Job Types: Part-time, Casual