As the Information Company, our mission at OpenText is to create software solutions and deliver services that redefine the future of digital. Be part of a winning team that leads the way in Enterprise Information Management.
Part of the OpenText HR Operations senior leadership team, reporting to the VP Global HR Operations, the Senior Director Global Payroll is a strategic role providing oversight to the OpenText global payroll operations and governance.
With a global footprint of five operating hubs in Canada, Germany, UK, India, and the Philippines, OpenText HR Operations is a global support team that acts as a central point for employees and people leaders on HR and payroll matters related to hire-to-retire transactions, policies, practices and procedures, supporting 13,000 + employees in over 35 countries. The team also comprises specialist groups for HR Analytics, HRIM, HR M&A & Operations Excellence.
The HRSS operating model support a two-tiered approach; Tier 1 provides front line support for all inbound queries and issues from OpenText employees. Tier 2 is a specialised tier including Payroll Specialists.
This role will lead a small team based in Toronto focused on payroll governance, vendor management and global payroll projects\initiatives. The Tier 2 (Payroll) regional leaders will have a dotted (matrixed) reporting line into this role for operational oversight and governance.
You are great at:
This role has two core responsibilities; providing matrix management to the regional Tier 2 leaders to ensure efficient, quality and compliant payroll service delivery and reviewing the current global payroll operations to create a forward-looking strategy, delivery model and governing framework.
What it takes:
- Seek opportunity to evolve the current state payroll environment globally; vendor consolidation, process improvements, migration of more processing work to the vendors and the organization of the local (Tier 2) payroll delivery teams.
- Design and implement a formal governance framework for global payroll, focused on internal operational controls, quality assurance, role clarity (responsibilities & hand offs), best practices for standards, policies, measures (SLAs, KPIs) and reporting.
- Implement a system to provide visibility and assurance on payroll risk management across all regions.
- Responsible for global payroll compliance – working with all payroll vendors to ensure legislative and compliance requirements are met on a country-by-country basis and partnering with Internal Audit to ensure payroll processes meet internal and external controls i.e Sarbanes Oxley.
- Manage the global payroll vendor relationships, providing guidance and direction to each region. Partnering with the Procurement team to ensure contractual agreements are regularly reviewed, maintained, compliant and meeting the needs of our growing business.
- Continuously assess payroll services delivered seeking opportunities to improve quality, efficiency and alignment with organizational priorities. Effectively direct efforts to implement measurable and sustainable improvement and measure ROI as standard practice.
- The ‘go to person’ for M&A payroll activities - in partnership with the HR M&A team, provide direction and support for M&A lifecycle activities including due diligence, integration planning and execution and legal entity harmonization activities upto 1 year out of the initial acquisition. Including payroll integration and system transitions.
- SME and project participant for all business initiatives\projects impacting payroll globally.
- Support and direct the payroll elements of the inflight HCM re-platform project (to SuccessFactors).
- Working with the Tier 2 leaders to build an environment of continuous learning and improvement. Implementing practices to ensure team members have up to date knowledge and are provided with regular and timely feedback. Ensuring the Tier 2 leaders are held accountable for high quality work.
- Solicit regular client feedback to ensure service levels are working.
- Establish and maintain credibility throughout the organization and ensure strict adherence to confidentiality and sensitivity in handling all aspects of private data across the HR team.
- 10+ years of progressive senior payroll experience, preferably in an HRSS environment within the technology industry.
- Strong leadership capabilities with proven ability to foster an environment of positive employee engagement and trust. Experience of matrix management an asset.
- Previous payroll transformation experience on a global scale is an advantage.
- Extensive international payroll implementation and M&A experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent work experience. MBA is a definite asset.
- Preferred - Completed Payroll Certification/ diploma, designation or certification.
- Demonstrated agility to succeed in a high change, fast paced environment, juggling multiple time sensitive priorities.
- SAP, SuccessFactors or equivalent HR system experience and outsourced payroll packages (ADP, Ceridian, etc.).
- Strong Business Acumen with experience working as part of a large global organization.
- Excellent organizational, planning and time management skills. Effective at managing multiple priorities under tight deadlines, ability to prioritize conflicting demands, organize time and resources to deliver consistent results for the business and bring initiatives to successful completion.
- High degree of business ethics and transparency.
- Must be able to operate under minimal supervision with judgment for independent actions
- Excellent analytical capabilities, as well as problem solving, attention to detail and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication with a proven ability to influence and build relationship in a diverse environment.
- Must convey a high level of personal integrity and a passion for excellence
- International travel as required.