The Operational Excellence Division encompasses various departments, including Inventory, Customer Service, Supply Chain, Operations Planning, Information Systems, Strategic Sourcing, and provide guidance to international Operations. The Information Systems (IS) team is responsible for PRIMED’s global IT infrastructure and the maintenance and development of various Information Technology (IT) systems that are critical to PRIMED’s operation. This includes defining, developing and implementing IT policies, procedures and best practices that provide cost-effectively and secure IT systems and operations. By collaborating with various departments, the IS team will ensure that PRIMED has secure access to reliable systems in which critical decisions are based upon.
The Software Developer & BSA’s role is to plan, design, develop, and launch efficient business, financial, and operations systems in support of core organizational functions and business processes. The SD&BSA is also responsible for designing, developing and maintaining custom software solutions to solve business problems. The incumbent ensures the health of database infrastructure by conducting, monitoring and working with stakeholders on database migrations and upgrades.
The Software Developer & Business Systems Analyst (SD&BSA) reports directly to and works closely with the Senior Manager, Information Systems to deliver software solutions and develop internal relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders (Operations, Finance, Sales, Product Development, etc.) at PRIMED. Being able to lead a project, multitask, and communicate clearly will be key to working within the PRIMED team. With superior interpersonal skills, the SD&BSA will effectively and professional deliver relevant information in presentations with the goal to inform decision-makers on the recommendation at hand.
The following is a high-level description of the responsibilities of the SD&BSA and is not meant to be all-inclusive:
Acquisition & Deployment
- Architect, design and develop enterprise applications using current industry standards and methodologies, and technology appropriate for the project.
- Use technology to integrate data between 3rd party software in order to optimize workflow, or add new functionality to a 3rd party system.
- Participate in and facilitate business requirements workshops, analyzing documents, analyzing business processes, conducting interviews and maintaining or creating documentation.
- Maintain custom software in the production environment, including troubleshooting, user support, and bug fixes.
- Create appropriate frameworks for software development based on current standards and best practices.
- Responsible for lifecycle planning and execution around the installation, configuration and upgrade of database environments, including necessary upgrades and improvements to existing applications to support new database technology.
- Create appropriate frameworks for database administration based on current standards and best practices.
- Monitor performance and health of database environments, and respond to issues in a way that minimizes the impact to the business.
- Create system design proposals.
- Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analyses for proposed systems to aid management in making implementation decisions.
- Ensure compatibility and interoperability of in-house computing systems.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems, and other post-implementation support.
- Other duties as required.
Strategy & Planning
- Meet with decision-makers, systems owners, and end-users to define business, financial, and operations requirements and systems goals, and identify and resolve systems issues.
- Lead design sessions in prototyping new systems for the purpose of enhancing business processes, operations, and information process flow.
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems and develop strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Identify and establish scope and parameters of systems analysis in order to define outcome criteria and measure-taking actions.
Existing Judgment/Impacts of Decisions/Consequence of Error
The Software Developer & BSA is responsible for development, recommendation, implementation and ongoing support of PRIMED’s Applications & System solutions. They must be able to clearly articulate requirements and recommendations (in both business & technical terms) for these systems, including reporting system enhancements and customized applications. They would typically solve problems using their judgement, experience and expertise, including:
- Proven experience in overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software and hardware solutions, systems, or products.
- Experience with jQuery, Bootstrap, Angular and Telerik are assets
- Familiarity with Software Development Life Cycle
- Object Oriented Programming and Design Patterns
- Proficiency with a number of development paradigms such as n-Tier architecture, Model-View-Controller (MVC)
- Basic understanding of the rules of relational database technology
- Web package management with gulp/grunt/bower is an asset
- Must be able to translate a data model or logical database design into an actual physical database implementation and to manage that database once it has been implemented.
- Take a physical database implementation, and translate it to a data model or logical model in the .NET Framework.
- IIS Management, including web site, application pool and certificate configuration.
- Must be able to pro-actively monitor the database environment and to make changes to data structures, SQL, application logic, indexes, statistics, and the DBMS subsystem itself in order to optimize performance.
- Must possess procedural skills to help design, debug, implement, and maintain stored procedures, triggers, and user-defined functions that are stored in the DBMS and used by application systems.
- Data Warehouse experience will be an asset.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Excellent understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
Typical problems that would be passed on to a colleague or supervisor include:
- Finance or budgetary constraints
- Problems related to the Quality Policy
An error in work would have serious consequences on the business decision-making systems used daily and for new business opportunities. Errors in work would be discovered through oversight by the Senior Manager, Information Systems. Guidelines, procedures and manuals that assist in the duties related to the QMS including Work Instructions and other various ad-hoc directions.
This position is based in the Edmonton office. The majority of work performed is expected to be split between support and projects. Attention is shifted from one job task to another frequently during the day. Therefore, time and priority management abilities in addition to excellent Customer Service and communication skills are essential for this position. Accuracy, attention to detail and the ability to multitask are also necessary.
Examples of mental effort include:
- Processing, reviewing and revising Application & System layouts
- Interruptions come from requests for assistance or new tasks as directed
- Multitasking abilities and time management skills are required for this position
- Concentration, computer skills, assembly skills, reading comprehension, personnel skills, etc.
- Communicating with various stakeholders and analysts.
- Examples of physical effort include:
- Working in a seated position, at a desk 6-7 hours/day
- ifting boxes up to 50 lbs, as required.
- Valid travel documents and the ability to travel to various jurisdictions legally is a requirement of the position.
- This position is based in the Edmonton office and may require occasional travel domestically. Typical office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. However, due to the nature of the digital media realm, work outside of typical hours including evenings and weekends may be required.
- The ability to use computers and equipment effectively and accurately in a timely manner is required.
- Given the critical role this individual will be expected to play in delivering on PRIMED’s mission, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
- 6 years of IS related experience developing and implementing software applications.
- Post-secondary education in Computer Science or Information Systems, or related discipline or related experience/education.
- Proficient in database management & integration technologies.
- Ability to assess client goals, requirements, needs and interests with respect to the implementation/appropriateness of information technology solutions by utilizing various requirements gathering methodologies.
- · Professional experience using cybersecurity and open source technology.
- Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills, including excellent verbal and written communication abilities.
- Must demonstrate active listening and strong facilitation.
- Must possess strong organizational and analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Strong knowledge of Client-Server, Web-based and SaaS applications.
· Excellent organizational and multitasking skills and keen attention to detail
· Demonstrated ability to work independently
· Ability to provide up-to-date, pro-active articulate communication
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
· Demonstrated professional documentation skills
· Strong desire to learn and expand your IT skillsets
· Sense of humour and ability to change direction within a moment’s notice
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Edmonton, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- information systems: 6 years (preferred)
- UI design: 6 years (preferred)
- CPA (including legacy) (preferred)